Toggle Clasp For Necklace Project

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
d_oshea

Toggle Clasp For Necklace Project

Post by d_oshea »

Attached is my project (Capture.PNG) and an example of a toggle clasp (toggle clasp.PNG) for a necklace. I want to attach a toggle clasp in the way shown to the top of my project so that the whole is perpendicular to the front face of the project. It does not need to be exactly as shown in the image, whatever the best/easiest method for something like this will do. The purpose is to put a chain through the whole and essentially have a necklace. I'm looking for any videos that would assist me or any help would be appreciated.

I am also searching for a website to get my design manufactured(metal) from. Any recommendations for the best or cheapest methods of getting this done?

Thanks
Attachments
toggle clasp.PNG
toggle clasp.PNG (85.73 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (12.91 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
M4x
Veteran

Re: Toggle Clasp For Necklace Project

Post by M4x »

Hello d_oshea,

for the next time, please read this thread carefully before opening a new thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... g for help
Especially these information is missing:
4. Please provide your FreeCAD version info
[...]
6. Add your FreeCAD file and/or screen captures
Because you haven't provided your FreeCAD file, I've designed a new kind of neglace ;) I'm not sure which side you're refering to as "top". Does my result look like what you're trying to do?
2019-10-06_ToggleClaspForNecklaceProject_1.png
2019-10-06_ToggleClaspForNecklaceProject_1.png (42.55 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
Another way could be to create a second body, model the toogle clasp as you like (based on my first solution) and fuse both bodies together (the neglace part and the toogle clasp). My first solution is a little dirty, because I've just placed the toogle clasp inside the neglace part.
2019-10-06_ToggleClaspForNecklaceProject_1-0.png
2019-10-06_ToggleClaspForNecklaceProject_1-0.png (20.51 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
Please let me know if you would like to get an example of the second solution too.

d_oshea wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:36 pm I am also searching for a website to get my design manufactured(metal) from. Any recommendations for the best or cheapest methods of getting this done?
What kind of material do you have in mind? You could use a CNC-mill or a coping saw and create the neglace and the toogle clasp seperately and weld solder them together. Or you could use a supplier like https://www.shapeways.com/ Shapeways or https://www.3dhubs.com/ 3D Hubs to get it printed in one piece (in metal or plastic). 3D Hubs offers CNC Machining too.

Regards
Max
Attachments
2019-10-06_ToggleClaspForNecklaceProject_1.FCStd
(26.32 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Last edited by M4x on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
pl7i92LCNC

Post by pl7i92LCNC »

for manufacture if thickness is lower then 3mm it is lasercut
above you may need the watercat guys to manufacture
depending on where you are you will get it nearby
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

M4x wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:58 pm [...]
Another way could be to create a second body, model the toogle clasp as you like (based on my first solution) and fuse both bodies together (the neglace part and the toogle clasp).
[...]
I've to correct myself (kind of). Depending on how you're modelling your toogle clasp, you won't need a second body. Especially if you're designing it to be manufactured in a single piece. I guess I was too tired last night ;)

This is how I would do it if I would be aiming for a 3D print for example.
2019-10-06_ToggleClaspForNecklaceProject_3-0.png
2019-10-06_ToggleClaspForNecklaceProject_3-0.png (45.86 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
2019-10-06_ToggleClaspForNecklaceProject_3-1.png
2019-10-06_ToggleClaspForNecklaceProject_3-1.png (13.97 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
pl7i92LCNC wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:51 am for manufacture if thickness is lower then 3mm it is lasercut
[...]
Of course lasercut is another option! Since you're talking about a neglace, I guess your part is not going to be very big or thick...?

Hope this helps!
Max
Attachments
2019-10-06_ToggleClaspForNecklaceProject_3.FCStd
(29.36 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
pl7i92LCNC

Post by pl7i92LCNC »

neglace and Hanging are usaly soldert together then it is painted or cromed
d_oshea

Post by d_oshea »

Hi,

Apologies, I should have read the guidelines more clearly.
Thanks for your help, the second design is exactly what I was looking for. I was planning on getting cut all as one piece. The diameter will be 2/2.5mm so it will need to be laser-cut.
I've also attached the file I'll be working on.

Thanks
Attachments
DAVID normal.FCStd
(87.59 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
d_oshea

Post by d_oshea »

pl7i92LCNC wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:43 pm neglace and Hanging are usaly soldert together then it is painted or cromed
Hi,

Apologies, I should have read the guidelines more clearly.
Thanks for your help, the second design is exactly what I was looking for. I was planning on getting cut all as one piece. The diameter will be 2/2.5mm so it will need to be laser-cut.
I've also attached the file I'll be working on.

Thanks
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

I'm glad that I was able to help you! What I don't get is how you're planning to let it cut in one piece if you're designing it with the toogle clasp.
d_oshea

Post by d_oshea »

M4x wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:27 pm I'm glad that I was able to help you! What I don't get is how you're planning to let it cut in one piece if you're designing it with the toogle clasp.
I'm not sure I follow, do mean because the toggle clasp is 90 degrees to the rest of the project? Does it need to be facing the other way for it to cut in one piece?
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

M4x wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:27 pm Does it need to be facing the other way for it to cut in one piece?
Imagine you've a 3 mm thick sheet of metal and a saw. Everything you're able to cut out of it without turning it around can be cut out of it with a laser. That's why everything has to be of the same height and holes / cut outs are only possible from "top" to "bottom".