Model Tree - Why two different layouts?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FreeCAD97990

Model Tree - Why two different layouts?

Post by FreeCAD97990 »

I've noticed that, when I download and run the latest Windows 0.19 development version of FreeCAD, sometimes I get the Part Design Model Tree displayed with chevrons which I can then click on to expand in more detail, and then click on again to show less detail.

But then I may find when I download and run the next 0.19 developemt version, the Model Tree is displayed in a more complicated arrangement of little boxes joined by lines with pluses and minuses in them which I can click on to show more or less detail.

The next time may be back to the chevrons..........

Both of these Model Tree representations obviously work in the same way, but is there a reason why they are different, and which (if either) is going to win out in the future?

Or are there some sort of preferences you can choose that I don't know about?
vocx
Veteran

Re: Model Tree - Why two different layouts?

Post by vocx »

FreeCAD97990 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:09 pm ...Part Design Model Tree displayed with chevrons...

... the Model Tree is displayed in a more complicated arrangement of little boxes joined by lines with pluses and minuses ...
Sorry, man, but pictures would tell a better story than this description.

Many objects in the graphical interface depend on your specific version of Qt and the operating system you are using, as Qt adapts to the base desktop, Gnome, KDE, Xfce, Windows, MacOS, etc., that you have.

In Linux, I haven't noticed any changes to the tree view. But I know the Qt version included in Windows packages has been updated a few times, so maybe the changes that you see are due to this. While 0.19 is a development version, such small changes shouldn't surprise you. Once it is released as stable, then you should not see major changes.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
FreeCAD97990

Post by FreeCAD97990 »

OK, Here are two screenshots of the same FreeCAD file, showing the two different tree structures so you can see what I mean.

The FreeCAD file is called Myford Assembly Mod 4.FCStd and it shows four Bodies located at 'placement' positions with respect to their common origin. It is not an 'Assembly' file of the A2+ or assembly3 type.
Tree with 0.19-18234.jpg
Tree with 0.19-18234.jpg (202.48 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Tree with 0.19-18351.jpg
Tree with 0.19-18351.jpg (199.32 KiB) Viewed 855 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

FreeCAD97990 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:24 pm OK, Here are two screenshots of the same FreeCAD file, showing the two different tree structures so you can see what I mean.
I think it's clear from your pictures that it is not only the tree view, the entire interface looks different (look at the edges of the windows). It looks like the "classic" Windows theme, which was used before Windows 7.

See this thread for the same issue, Problems with 0.19 dev version.
wmayer wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:07 am Very likely some Qt plugins are missing in the new build. It's correct that FreeCAD looks very Windows95/98-ish when these plugins are missing.

EDIT: The missing plugin is called qwindowsvistastyle.dll and it should be located under bin/styles in your FreeCAD installation.
Basically, this is an error in packaging Qt in the Windows version of FreeCAD. I think @srogan is the maintainer. He probably missed some files, as mentioned in the thread above.

The one with the classic view is 0.19.18234, while the one that looks fine is 0.19.18351, which is more recent. Therefore, the problem was already corrected in the newest version of the package. There is not much else to do. Report again if you notice a regression in a future version.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Moved to 'Help with FreeCAD' subforum
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
FreeCAD97990

Post by FreeCAD97990 »

Thanks for your help. Yes, I'd noticed the other differences around the edges of the windows and so on.

But it was the differences in the tree view, which happened several times, and seemingly at random, that had me wondering what was happening.

I did try searching the Forum, but was looking for ongoing developments of the tree view, rather than errors in packaging Qt in the Windows version.
So I was obviously looking in the wrong place!

Thanks again.
pl7i92LCNC

Post by pl7i92LCNC »

Whow that is realy strainch as it is sunken 1 against sunken2
dident even notice that as most 99% of users woudent see that