How Do I get this shape?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
business_kid

How Do I get this shape?

Post by business_kid »

Thanks for reply. No, I want that bit of the middle gone, and the rest there. In the original, the pillar IS the vertical column, and has thinner posts sunk into it. I've only got thicker softwood, so in the reconstruction it's wrapping round the frame.
Last edited by business_kid on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: How Do I get this shape?

Post by papyblaise »

Hello
if I good understand your question , it's somthing like that
Attachments
pilar.PNG
pilar.PNG (20.51 KiB) Viewed 843 times
pilar.FCStd
(16.67 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

One Pad, one Pocket. I used CarbonCopy to import sketch in sketch001 as construction geometry, changed straight edges to real geometry, redraw the top arc. One particularity here is how to constraint the arc. I selected coincident centres, one coincident endpoint and another end in PointOnLine to the straight edge. Having 3 coincidences might result in unsolvable sketch due to precision errors.

edit: we crossposted and of course cut opposite sides ot the pillar :)
Attachments
Pillars_1_kiss.FCStd
(13.77 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
business_kid

Post by business_kid »

Thanks, Kisolre, that's exactly what I need . I noticed your pocket was 'Symmetric to plane.' What does that do? is that how it took out the middle? I'll look up that Carbon Copy once I get the thing finished. I need 4 of them.

I've an awful lot to learn about this. I just have a few simple chunks to lop off because the thinnest bit of the wood can't be that thin, and I'm nearly finished this project. I don't envisage taking on any other modelling immediately, so I'll probably forget all I've learned again :(
business_kid

Post by business_kid »

Now I've dug 2 pockets out of that pillar. That saves getting us too thin on the "wood", and aligns nicely with my outer planking. Obviously the original was getting battered by floodwaters, so no thin wood would take that. Most big wooden ships also ran into trouble over poorly supported wood, or too narrow wood flexing. Iron reinforcement only partly cured it.

I will be working away on miscellaneous bits for a while, but one thing I'm going to have to master is copying. I need 4 of those pillars, located differently ideally so I can print them in the same file. I tried that carbon copy as per instructions on the wiki and I failed teetotally. Does it have to be another sketch in the same file? Is there something I'm missing?
Attachments
Pillars_2_kiss.FCStd
(13.77 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Why the 5 CarbonCopies?
MultipleCarbonCopy.JPG
MultipleCarbonCopy.JPG (133.36 KiB) Viewed 792 times
business_kid wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:45 pm I noticed your pocket was 'Symmetric to plane.' What does that do?
When you create Pad/pocket it is created using sketch as base and pulling it in one direction. If you want to pull it in the other direction you set its property "Reverse" to true. You get 10mm feature on one side of the sketch. If symmetric is set from those 10mm you get 5 in one direction and 5 in opposite direction - feature is symmetric to sketch plane. I noticed that your model had both whole ends with equal length so instead on moving the second sketch 8mm and then pocketing to leave 8mm from the other end it was easy o create the base shape symmetric and then pocket symmetric with second sketch at same place as the first.
business_kid

Post by business_kid »

In sorting out my odd bits, I've hit 2 further questions.

1. That Pillar shape - I need 4. But if I start with 4 circles, I can't pad - It's not supported yet to pad multiple items. I'd like to be able to pad or pocket a chosen item from among many. Now I can circumvent that pad problem with very narrow bits joining them, so they're one shape, and pad that. Then I need to pocket, I presume, multiple items. I suppose that's not supported either?

2. I've built a flat section for the roof panels, which is angled at 30º, and has round vertical pillars coming up through it. Can I do an angled pocket to accommodate those verticals?
pl7i92LCNC

Post by pl7i92LCNC »

you shoudt make a quick Handsketch no matter it looks to get US all a better understanding of what you try to adchive
business_kid

Post by business_kid »

Why the 5 CarbonCopies?
I need 4 in total actually - one for each corner. Staying in mm, the 16mm diameter pillars would have been joined by (to scale) 8mm square hardwood with multiple reinforcing box sections with 45º angle bracing struts, , central support pillars spreading load, etc. and then covered inside & out with tar. You'd need a piece 16mm diameter to put the struts into. In real life, that's a square 0.91 Metres (3 feet Imperial) going into a 1.82Metre (6 feet) tree trunk!

I've only one hand, and crappy softwood, with no box sections. so the pillar is wrapping round my vertical strut. The distance down vertically makes no sense as it is - I note your question mark. The section to remove has to mimic those 8mm beams, (= 4mm left & right of centre) mounted at 90º. So the distance to the centre is the hypotenuse of a triangle whose 2 sides are 4 mm. By Pythagoras that gives sqrt(32) =5.65685424949, which I have rounded off. Just bring in a 45º line through the centre, and it all gets clearer :)
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

You are assuming people know what you are trying to design - that arc thing probably? And so your questions dont make much sence taken out of context. Your questions should be more on point.

How to model that shape? - you get an answer.
I want to 3D print 4 of these columns - you will get an answer.
Screenshot of model so far with marked areas that you want to optimize/redesign/... - you will get an answer.

Now the question is not clear enough. Do you want to have 4 such columns just for visualisation? Do you need to have 4 identical columns in one print? Do you need them to be visually correct or easy 3d printable (no supports/bridges, easy assembly, ...)?