Part->Chamfer does not work

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Posts: 18991
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Part->Chamfer does not work

Postby chrisb » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Back to FreeCAD: in the attached files I made all "almost tangents" really tangents. Then the sweep succeeds.
Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-11 um 22.23.44.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-11 um 22.23.44.png (14.42 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Attachments
3_cb.FCStd
(356.7 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
User avatar
pl7i92LCNC
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:03 pm
Location: RLP DE

Re: Part->Chamfer does not work

Postby pl7i92LCNC » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:43 am

chrisb wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:24 pm
Back to FreeCAD: in the attached files I made all "almost tangents" really tangents. Then the sweep succeeds.Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-11 um 22.23.44.png
is this made by HAND or on some auto tangent
can you give us NOOB a quick advice on how you did that what WB path modified to a sketch or ....

Thanks
User avatar
pl7i92LCNC
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:03 pm
Location: RLP DE

Re: Part->Chamfer does not work

Postby pl7i92LCNC » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:44 am

and here is the Blender Tutorial on that i hope it is allowed here to get other non CAd software discriped
phpBB [video]
koluna
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Part->Chamfer does not work

Postby koluna » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:48 am

chrisb wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:24 pm
Back to FreeCAD: in the attached files I made all "almost tangents" really tangents. Then the sweep succeeds.Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-11 um 22.23.44.png
Thanks!
I am comparing path3384 and Sketch in your file...
Did you correct Sketch?
Why did you correct Sketch002?
There are few differences, they are almost identical!
How did you make it?
Which principles did you use?
I cannot understand why the tangentiality is very important for path...
Last edited by koluna on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
koluna
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Part->Chamfer does not work

Postby koluna » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:53 am

pl7i92LCNC wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:43 am
is this made by HAND or on some auto tangent
can you give us NOOB a quick advice on how you did that what WB path modified to a sketch or ....
Yes, yes, yes! Chrisb, it is very important for us!
koluna
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Part->Chamfer does not work

Postby koluna » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:55 am

koluna wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:53 am
pl7i92LCNC wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:43 am
is this made by HAND or on some auto tangent
can you give us NOOB a quick advice on how you did that what WB path modified to a sketch or ....
Yes, yes, yes! Chrisb, it is very important for us!
pl7i92LCNC wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:44 am
and here is the Blender Tutorial on that i hope it is allowed here to get other non CAd software discriped
Thanks a lot! I will check it out bit later...
chrisb
Posts: 18991
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Part->Chamfer does not work

Postby chrisb » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:57 am

koluna wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:48 am
Why did you correct Sketch002?
That's a leftover from previous tries. Sometimes the sharp corners create self intersections of the sweep which make the sweep fail. You can move it back to the outside and report back if it works or not.
There are few differences, they are almost identical!
How did you make it?
Which principles did you use?
I removed coincidences and created tangents whereever the looked tangent. I only left those untouched which had a clearly visible angle.
I cannot understand why the tangentiality is very important...
Because the geometric kernel cannot handle them properly, I would guess it's due to some kind of rounding issue.
chrisb
Posts: 18991
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Part->Chamfer does not work

Postby chrisb » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:03 am

pl7i92LCNC wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:43 am
chrisb wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:24 pm
Back to FreeCAD: in the attached files I made all "almost tangents" really tangents. Then the sweep succeeds.Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-11 um 22.23.44.png
is this made by HAND or on some auto tangent
can you give us NOOB a quick advice on how you did that what WB path modified to a sketch or ....
I used Sketcher. With Box selection I select one of the angent looking connections. The connection show green. While watching the solver message use Delete key to remove the coincidence. The number of degrees of freedom (DOF) raises by two. Now box select the same point again - this selects both endpoints - and apply a tangency constraint. The number of DOF decreases by 3.
koluna
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Part->Chamfer does not work

Postby koluna » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:58 pm

chrisb wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:57 am
You can move it back to the outside and report back if it works or not.
It works.
I repeated your way and a Sweep tool was worked. Thanks.
But, how can I correct the self-intersection in a result Sweep?
I should not correct Sketch001 (or a bit). Should I correct a path (my contour - Sketch)? Should I alter the corner in the path?
Attachments
2-0.png
2-0.png (30.55 KiB) Viewed 182 times
1-0.png
1-0.png (29.28 KiB) Viewed 182 times
chrisb
Posts: 18991
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Part->Chamfer does not work

Postby chrisb » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:18 pm

koluna wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:58 pm
But, how can I correct the self-intersection in a result Sweep?
I try to avoid this situation by either not having such sharp corners (radius of bends should exceed thickness of the sweep section) or I place the section appropriately.