Scaling

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Quality_Salt

Scaling

Post by Quality_Salt »

Hi, I realize everyone asks how to scale, but none of the posts I read have worked. Since those posts, it seems that a scale button in the draft workbench has been added. I am able to scale, but when I click OK in tasks, it does nothing, whether I choose clone, modify, or copy, the scaled object just reverts. Also, when I try to clone manually to modify scale that way, the close is invisible. And yes, I have transformed it around, so I should see it, but it is not there. So, is there a simple way to scale that I am missing? I thank you in advance.

If it matters, this is an imported stl file I made in scad. I found it much easier to make parts in scad. As a side question, since stl files are unitless (as they should be), why not ask the user what units the file is in when it is imported? Anyone making anything complicated has to import nuts and bolts, for example, of course.

By the way, I'd upload my trivially small file, but it says it's too large to upload.
vocx
Veteran

Re: Scaling

Post by vocx »

Quality_Salt wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:56 am ...
If it matters, this is an imported stl file I made in scad. I found it much easier to make parts in scad.
STLs are meshes. Meshes are pretty "dumb", they only have points and edges which define faces, and that's it. But they aren't parametric solids. FreeCAD works with parametric solids which can be transformed in many ways. An STL cannot be transformed easily if it's not converted first to a solid shape.
...Anyone making anything complicated has to import nuts and bolts, for example, of course. ...
But not meshes. People import Step files, or Brep geometry, which are parametric. For that there are even libraries like the Fasterners workbench or BOLTSFC.

You fail to provide important information, such as which FreeCAD version you are using. Also, some pictures would be helpful.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Quality_Salt

Post by Quality_Salt »

vocx wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:22 amSTLs are meshes
FWIW, I exported in scad as csg file, and I got the same result upon import -- i.e., the object disappears when I hit ok in the task menu after I scale. I don't really know what you want a picture of -- it's disappearing. I've tried clicking "show selection" or "toggle visibility," but it's just not there anymore.
Quality_Salt

Post by Quality_Salt »

I was able to find a workaround to what I think is a bug. After importing csg file from openscad to freecad, I clicked part --> refine shape, and lo and behold, now I am able to scale.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

We really do need the file and to know which FreeCAD version you're using to investigate further. Have you read the thread in my signature carefully?
pl7i92LCNC

Post by pl7i92LCNC »

Hi
you can inspect your stl inide the MESH workbench ANALYSE Clich almost down Repair and wait some seconds
THEN in the Part workbench Form from TriangleMesh
this gives you the Shape
SOLID from Shape then can be created Part-> Make solid
this you can handle as a Standard CAD File With all Export options and Deform or Construction
like i die in this VIDEO
phpBB [video]