SOLVED! Part vanished... or not?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Part vanished... or not?

Post by chrisb »

I replaced all "&"s in Document.xml and now I can open the sketches again. I tried with a current 0.19, but I would guess that it works in 0.16 as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

There is one more thing, which was a very common mistake in 0.16: Sketcher allowed to create redundant constraints in connection with symmetry. They worked quite well in the step directly after, but showed serious issues later. I would recommend to remove the selected horizontal constraint:
Snip macro screenshot-c09339.png
Snip macro screenshot-c09339.png (4.98 KiB) Viewed 328 times
And furthermore I would recommend to use a current 0.18 or 0.19 version. They detect these overconstraints. Furthermore they alow usage of a master sketch, which you seem to simulate with a lot of construction geometry.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Koemi

Post by Koemi »

Thanks mate!
And furthermore I would recommend to use a current 0.18 or 0.19 version. They detect these overconstraints. Furthermore they alow usage of a master sketch, which you seem to simulate with a lot of construction geometry.
In the near future (I am saying this for more than 6 months now :D ) I will make the step to V0.19. I need some spare time to make this step (especially the new assembly WB's are very interesting, but a bit more complex). All my drawings are made with V0.16. Maybe January 1st 2020 is a good moment 8-)
Koemi

Re: SOLVED! Part vanished... or not?

Post by Koemi »

And another discovery: if the filename is ok, but somewhere in the path an "&" is present, it also does not function!
For instance: C:\&\file.jpg will NOT work
chrisb
Veteran

Re: SOLVED! Part vanished... or not?

Post by chrisb »

A real change was only made in PartDesign. The other things are "only" (sorry developers) great improvements