Derived parts

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MaartenM79

Derived parts

Post by MaartenM79 »

In Autodesk inventor it is possilbe to import a sketch from a different part and reuse this in a new part. If you update the other part the sketch will update also. This makes it very easy to make a large number of parts that fit together well. If you are carefull with building your model this can make it very easy to make changes in the top level part and all other parts will update with minimal work. Would be great if Freecad has something similar, I am unable to find it.
ppemawm
Veteran

Re: Derived parts

Post by ppemawm »

MaartenM79 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:41 pm In Autodesk inventor it is possible to import a sketch from a different part and reuse this in a new part...Would be great if Freecad has something similar, I am unable to find it.
This may be what you are looking for if you are working in one file: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sketcher_CarbonCopy
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
MaartenM79

Post by MaartenM79 »

Ok Thanks, I will have to get used to working in one file for multiple parts then.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Sometimes it's hard to select the sketch. Try reverting the model back to the the sketch/feature (by hightlighting the targeted feature and tap the space bar) in question while making the sketch visible. I also like doing this in sketch isometric view.

It sounds like what you want is a clone, not a sketch copy.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

What will be the fundamental difference between a clone of the sketch and a carbon copy?
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

This does do indeed. Thanks for the reminder.
But in the referenced topic clones are not mentioned ;)
Shapebinders are.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Clone and CarbonCopy have much in common, e.g. the both can arbitrarily repositioned. CarbonCopy has the advantage that it is possible to change some distinguished constraints, and keep the rest linked to its source.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.