Drilling a hole with a tread in a Part primitve

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Drilling a hole with a tread in a Part primitve

Post by chrisb »

I'm glad in this case that there are different words for essentially the same thing. Extrude is the name used in Part, Pad is the name in PartDesign.
Part objects can consist of several not connected solids, while in PartDesign we have at most one.

In the old days of 0.16 Part and Part design could be deliberately mixed. This concept was abandoned for several reasons which I may not know all or: preparation for assemblies by providing local coordiante systems or mapping sketches not only to faces are some of them.
Alas, there are several places where not everything is available in PartDesign (Helix, faces, ...) or the handling is still very clumsy (e.g. adding features to patterns).

FreeCAD is very well usable, but is still work in progress.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
catman

Post by catman »

chrisb wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:54 pm Part objects can consist of several not connected solids, while in PartDesign we have at most one.
I agree thats good if there is a difference. Are you aware if the part design limitation is by design? I had been hoping that sometime in the future the limitation is overcome. I had several cases where I could have neeed that capability also in PartDesign.

chrisb wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:54 pm In the old days of 0.16 Part and Part design could be deliberately mixed. This concept was abandoned for several reasons which I may not know all or: preparation for assemblies by providing local coordiante systems or mapping sketches not only to faces are some of them.
That is interesting to know. Then there has been a common Hole dialog applicable for all. Glad that it went to the PartDesign side :D
chrisb wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:54 pm FreeCAD is very well usable, but is still work in progress.
Absolutely. This is to great about it - one sees potential everywhere. I do not mean to critizise, just try to understand what is by design and why. The rest would be just areas open to ideas and ambition to be extended.

So thanks for your answers.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

catman wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:07 pm Are you aware if the part design limitation is by design? I had been hoping that sometime in the future the limitation is overcome. I had several cases where I could have neeed that capability also in PartDesign.
Werner, one of the main developers, has implyed, that this restriction may be dropped in the future.
That is interesting to know. Then there has been a common Hole dialog applicable for all. Glad that it went to the PartDesign side :D
The hole feature did not exist in 0.16. Part workbench was left untouched, there was nothing removed. In the opposite, meanwhile there some new Part functions added as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.