Check Geometry should be included in Part Design WB?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
garya

Check Geometry should be included in Part Design WB?

Post by garya »

Having recently learned about Part CheckGeometry, I am wondering if it should also be included in Part Design WB.
This old post https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15269 indicates (#8) "all relevant tools formerly exclusive to the Part workbench are now also available in PartDesign". Is Check Geometry not considered a tool?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.0.18.2
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.12.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Check Geometry should be included in Part Design WB?

Post by chrisb »

Check Geometry can be used almost everywhere. I have added it to my PartDesign toolbar.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

For operations that I require in any part of FC such as Send model to Cura, check Centre of Mass, Moment Of Inertia etc, I customise the Global Toolbar. Personally I perhaps overconfidently only use Check Geometry very rarely when a Union/Cut doesn't work, Tech Draw or Cura don't produce the expected result, call it lazy if you will.
garya

Post by garya »

I like the ability to customize the toolbars, and used to do it with other apps all the time. However, I've come to the conclusion that for anyone who moves between platforms and machines not always their own, it's best to stick with a standard as-shipped setup, and that setup should be as "useful" as generally possible. While it is certainly easy enough to switch to part wb to get at Check Geometry, it is awkward. If it's no more or less useful in part wb than in part design, it would be good if it were equally available.