3D Print puzzle

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
business_kid

3D Print puzzle

Post by business_kid »

4_Pillar_Verticals.FCStd
(30.89 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

I eventually ended up with the file above as the shape I wanted for my vertical pillars, but I don't think I can 3dprint that, as the bottom end will not build up correctly. If I stand it up, the middle bit suddenly goes out over thin air :oops:, So I got thinking how to reconstruct them so that they would 3d print.
The best idea I had was this
PillarIdea.FCStd
(5.64 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
The sketch tries to show 2 pieces (one in construction geometry) which I would have to glue together as shown for the middle bit to get the 'wrap around' effect I'm looking for. I'd glue full circles on to them, but all this is looking very messy and gluey. The pillars have a 16mm diameter. I'm hoping for a better 3d printable way of doing it.
pl7i92LCNC

Re: 3D Print puzzle

Post by pl7i92LCNC »

hi why not laying on the back adding some suport and you are fine
pilar.jpg
pilar.jpg (33.86 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
business_kid

Post by business_kid »

I'm intending to hand the printing out. The support would have to be lined up perfectly. Frankly, I didn't think that idea was a runner. It's one thing doing a bodge job at home, quite another getting some dweeb in a printing house to do it
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you want to glue things: why not glue the top cylinder? Make two spikes on the long bars and two holes in the cylinder so that they fit and then you can easily glue them together.

As an alternative you may think about a small flat at the outside and some chamfer so that you can print the way proposed by pl7i92LCNC but without using support. Printers can fairly well print up to an angle of 70° or even 75°. So there will not be much left.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
pl7i92LCNC

Post by pl7i92LCNC »

a 3D printer is 65 USD Anet style
there is so mutch need in a single household for that kind of mashine
get you one and mak it yourself
if you can stay on PLA material
business_kid

Post by business_kid »

a 3D printer is 65 USD Anet style
there is so much need in a single household for that kind of machine
get you one and make it yourself
if you can stay on PLA material
Not here in Ireland
That printer(which I'd like a link to, btw) IF they send to Ireland will have a hefty postage/courier charge (slow post takes months; quicker post takes $$; couriers tale $$$$!). ~Then there's 25% import duty into the EU on much stuff, and maybe VAT at point of entry if you're registered for vat, as I once was. Some things get in cheap, some couriers total the bill (article, freight, import duty) and then apply vat, effectively charging VAT twice, and vat on their bill's vat.
Rule #1 on Internet buying here is: Forget the US. It is (or was) cheaper from China.

The house has no need for a 3d printer. We're minimalists. I wouldn't have a scanner (in my printer) except I can't get a steady photo any more with only one hand on the job.
business_kid

Post by business_kid »

@chrisb:

I don't want to glue, but I've no way out of it. here's huge long panels for sides & roof getting glued as well, There is going to be an internal frame of 1"×1" planed soft wood, or approx. 19mm². That's what the 90º section out of the pillar is about. So I can glue to that frame, no problem. This is just getting as bad as one of those really messy Airfix kits? Anyone remember those? The worst stuff was the glue - it gassed you, gave you a headache, and melted the plastic :evil:
business_kid

Post by business_kid »

Vertical_Pieces.FCStd
(82.29 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
That's the pillars now. I'm going a two-piece route. Does it matter that I have some stray XZ axis showing up all over the place? How did it get there? I can't seem to get rid of it. If it doesn't affect o/p, then it will hardly matter, will it?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Go in the tree into Bodies 5, 6, 7, 8 and make the origin invisible.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.