Basic CAD-Method in FC

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RafaelK

Basic CAD-Method in FC

Post by RafaelK »

Hello,

i'm new to FC and watched many tutorials and several primitve parts to get to know the main tools.
I think i know now how to work with most important tools and build single parts and i even know how to assemble several indepent parts.
But i don't know how to handle a complicate project with many parts, where all parts depent on each other.
To be more specific:
I want to build a stair as shown in the attached picture (picture 2).
My problem is that i don't know how to continue from the ground view (picture 1) on.
How do i extract each single step (stair step) from the ground view into parts and place them in the 3D space.

I know its a quite basic question, so i'm sure someone can tell me the basic workflow to accomplish my goal.
Thanks for your answers.
Rafael
Attachments
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (7 KiB) Viewed 889 times
3D Bild1.PNG
3D Bild1.PNG (188.64 KiB) Viewed 889 times
RafaelK

Re: Basic CAD-Method in FC

Post by RafaelK »

Hi easy-fc,

thanks for your answer.
But i'm rather looking for a description/tutorial/example for the method of creating 3D parts based on the 2D ground view and assemble them in the 3D space.
I do not want "just" a tool or macro to create the whole stair for me.

Rafael
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Draw sketches of each tread in the XY plane, then move them upwards to the height you want (z axis change). Each tread can be padded for thickness.The side rails; you will need to describe what you intend to build with, steel, wood, because if they are curved they will be handled differently. You can import from DXF but this should be easy to draw in Sketcher.
RafaelK

Post by RafaelK »

the goal is a stair as shown in the picture above.
the rail is supposed to be out of 10mm metal sheet.

i know how to draw the first treat in the xy plane, pad it and move it to its place up the z axis.
but i don't know how to start the sketch of the second tread, because the second tread is depending on the end of the first tread.
and the third tread is depending on the second tread and so on.
For the straight treads i could calculate the start of a tread by adding the width of the previous treads.
But for the non straight treads as shown in the picture above it gets quite difficult so calculate.
Thats why i want to sketch the ground view and then make each seperate tread out of it as seperate body.
Is there a way i can see and acces my ground view sketch in different bodys sketches?
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Start a new sketch in each body and create a new body for each tread, you will have total control over each tread that way. Sketch them all on the XY plane and view them from above so you can see how they line up. Highlight each sketch in each body to see them all.
RafaelK

Post by RafaelK »

But is there a way to see and acces my ground view in every sketch?
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

RafaelK wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:08 pm But is there a way to see and acces my ground view in every sketch?
Use the first picture to create a master sketch in a body and fully constrain it.
Make a Sketcher>CarbonCopy of of the master and toggle all edges to construction geometry.
To create the first tread in a Body, Edit>Duplicate Selected Object of the CarbonCopy and drag into the tread Body.
Toggle the first tread edges into geometry and pad.
Repeat for each tread and use Body>Placement to move tread to its elevation.

Note that you can then change dimensions in the master sketch and all the treads will update.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

@ppemawm, what they said and;
You can adjust the sketch Z offset from the floor with Attachment-Position-Z. Changing properties does not update realtime, you need to set the value and click in another properties field to confirm an input.
Attachments
stair1.JPG
stair1.JPG (57.34 KiB) Viewed 683 times
RafaelK

Post by RafaelK »

ppemawm wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:15 pm
RafaelK wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:08 pm But is there a way to see and acces my ground view in every sketch?
Use the first picture to create a master sketch in a body and fully constrain it.
Make a Sketcher>CarbonCopy of of the master and toggle all edges to construction geometry.
To create the first tread in a Body, Edit>Duplicate Selected Object of the CarbonCopy and drag into the tread Body.
Toggle the first tread edges into geometry and pad.
Repeat for each tread and use Body>Placement to move tread to its elevation.

Note that you can then change dimensions in the master sketch and all the treads will update.
Great...
That was, what I was looking for.
Thank you very much.
:D :D