unexpected window resize

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
surfin_eddie

unexpected window resize

Post by surfin_eddie »

Hello,

with the 0.13-git.2041 every time if I open a existing file the main FreeCAD window is reszied smaller. Moreover with my WM (wmaker) sometimes after the resize the "maximize" option of the WM is not active then. If I use the "restore previous size" option first the "maximize" option is active and usable afterwards. Is this a mistake in my settings or anything other?

Best regards,

Ralf
wmayer
Founder

Re: unexpected window resize

Post by wmayer »

surfin_eddie

Post by surfin_eddie »

Hello,

if it is a problem with the wm then at least with windowmaker (wmaker, 0.92.0), tab window manager (twm, no version-option) and enlightenment 1.0.0.
That are all which I could try up to the moment. FreeCAD is 0.13-2041git.

Thanks, best regards,

Ralf
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes i noticed this in the past:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3360

I tried a few WMs back then and all had this behavior. I think something like this is what happens:
Basically each operation like opening new document CTRL + N will resize FreeCAD window horizontal by the amount of sidebars width and vertically by the hight of all of the toolbars + tabs...
OpenGL rendering area size is probably the thing that drives WM but sidebars and toolbars size is not added.

This is what happens:

OpenGL rendering area width = width of new window.
OpenGL rendering area height = height of new window.

This is what probably should happen:

OpenGL rendering area width + sidebar width = width of new window.
OpenGL rendering area height + toolbar height = height of new window.

If this would change fullscreen (F11) would probably work as expected too. Currently only OpenGL rendering area is fullscreened and not FreeCAD window... That basically prevents work in fullscreen mode.
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

I tried to look at this using GDB, but has broken with Kubuntu 13.04 which is typical of Ubuntu....

I can note that it doesn't attempt to resize the window when FreeCAD is fully maximised but that is not useful.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I can note that it doesn't attempt to resize the window when FreeCAD is fully maximised but that is not useful.
Yes and in for example "arero snap" mode in Ubuntu WM resizes the window back if you press CTRL + N but it flickers because window is resized and then probably WM sets the size back to "half of the screen". Probably the same happens in maximized state when WM just keeps the main FreeCAD window maximized but there is still flashing with CTRL + N.

I think OpenGL rendering (sub) window drives the size of the main FreeCAD window and i don't know if this is bug or layout is made like that. Do a test and make sidebar width smaller or bigger and you will notice FreeCAD window resizes itself by the amount of sidebar windows width because it only takes width of OpenGL rendering (sub) window . The same goes with height of all horizontal toolbars + tabs. Try 1 or 4 rows of toolbars for example...

Maybe it's a bug or maybe it's the way OpenGL rendering area (sub) window is nested in main FreeCAD window. Maybe it has something to do with the ability to dock and undock and fullscreen just the OpenGL rendering area (sub) window... Maximized or "aero snap" state indicated OpenGL rendering (sub) window automatically resizes itself to the size of main FreeCAD window but on the other hand it looks like OpenGL rendering (sub) window determines the size of main FreeCAD window to WM and this might be bug in Qt or layout issue?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I tried to look at this using GDB, but has broken with Kubuntu 13.04 which is typical of Ubuntu....
It looks like GDB version 7.5.9 or 7.6 have issues and need upstream fix. If you want you can try this:

sudo apt-get purge gdb

Download Quantal version 7.5:

32 bit:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/119013224 ... 2_i386.deb

64 bit:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/119013074 ... _amd64.deb

And use sudo dpkg -i package_name.deb

That should probably work. To get defaults back:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade