[SOLVED] Why does edges in TechDraw output are sometimes not connected?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ceremcem

[SOLVED] Why does edges in TechDraw output are sometimes not connected?

Post by ceremcem »

I'm preparing laser cut drawings (dxf) from 3D drawings. When I use the boolean operations to generate the end object and get the projection in TechDraw, sometimes (for some drawings) it produces some unconnected edges. The output of TechDraw "looks like" correct, but it doesn't produce a closed curve:

Screenshot_2019-10-31_23-29-11.png
Screenshot_2019-10-31_23-29-11.png (55.38 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

The model is private, so I can't share it here. However, I may try to reproduce the problem (obviously, which will take some time) or follow your directions. The problematic section is a "Boolean Cut" result of "Some geometry I draw" and "offset in 3D" of "some geometry I draw":

Screenshot_2019-11-01_06-38-03.png
Screenshot_2019-11-01_06-38-03.png (176.95 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Last edited by ceremcem on Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Why does edges in TechDraw output are sometimes not connected?

Post by wandererfan »

ceremcem wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:40 am I'm preparing laser cut drawings (dxf) from 3D drawings. When I use the boolean operations to generate the end object and get the projection in TechDraw, sometimes (for some drawings) it produces some unconnected edges. The output of TechDraw "looks like" correct, but it doesn't produce a closed curve:
What happens if you use "Project shape" from the Drawing WB? Are the edges connected?

Beyond that, it is going to be hard to diagnose without a file.
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

Hi wandererfan,

I can send the project files to you privately, that wouldn't be a problem. However, it requires @realthunder's Assembly3 WB.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

ceremcem wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:50 pm I can send the project files to you privately, that wouldn't be a problem. However, it requires @realthunder's Assembly3 WB.
Send the file please. I'll build A3WB over the weekend and get back to you.
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

Sorry, it's been a while that I had to dive into the work other than mechanical drawings and there were no notifications in my mailbox since then. I'm sending you the whole project via DM.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

ceremcem wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:38 pm I'm sending you the whole project via DM.
My Asm3 install seems to be broken. I'll have to sort that out before I can look at the files.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

ceremcem wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:38 pm
Are you using a special build? If I try to load your files with the current AppImage (FreeCAD_0.19-19541-Linux-Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19541 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a797a4172709b82c6cd08dcf6df86cb789aaa3ce
Python version: 3.8.1
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)

I get pages of messages like the following. That first line indicates that my version is looking for a property that isn't in the FCStd file or maybe has a different name.

Code: Select all

Invalid Document.xml: End of document reached
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAX1codS/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/freecad/asm3/assembly.py", line 197, in onDocumentRestored
    self.linkSetup(obj)
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAX1codS/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/freecad/asm3/assembly.py", line 2744, in linkSetup
    o.Proxy.parent = self
<class 'AttributeError'>: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'parent'
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAX1codS/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/freecad/asm3/assembly.py", line 197, in onDocumentRestored
    self.linkSetup(obj)
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAX1codS/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/freecad/asm3/assembly.py", line 3519, in linkSetup
    cstr = getProxy(o,AsmConstraint)
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAX1codS/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/freecad/asm3/assembly.py", line 25, in getProxy
    checkType(obj,tp)
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAX1codS/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/freecad/asm3/assembly.py", line 21, in checkType
    raise TypeError('Expect object {} to be of type "{}"'.format(
<class 'TypeError'>: Expect object tb6600_module#Constraint008 to be of type "AsmConstraint"
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAX1codS/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/freecad/asm3/assembly.py", line 274, in claimChildren
    return self.ViewObject.Object.Group
<class 'AttributeError'>: 'FeaturePython' object has no attribute 'Group'
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAX1codS/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/freecad/asm3/assembly.py", line 274, in claimChildren
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

Yes, I'm using the version usually directly compiled from the latest git commit. Here is my current version:

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18707 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: 5a598e96321da61fcb25e52beca6a33454ac5e40
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
If you like, you can use my build scripts with a clean Debian virtual machine: https://github.com/ceremcem/build-freecad-asm3/
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

ceremcem wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:40 am I'm preparing laser cut drawings (dxf) from 3D drawings. When I use the boolean operations to generate the end object and get the projection in TechDraw, sometimes (for some drawings) it produces some unconnected edges. The output of TechDraw "looks like" correct, but it doesn't produce a closed curve:
Validate Sketch says the sketch for "2mm_metal_wall" has missing coincidences and open vertices. Looks like the trouble starts somewhere before TD.
OpenVertices_metal_wall.png
OpenVertices_metal_wall.png (68.16 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

Thanks for introducing ValidateSketch tool to me. Unfolding the same part has proper DXF output if we use the "Unfold" solid, not the "Unfold_Sketch". Similarly, if I enter the edit mode of the Unfold_Sketch (wall_unfold in my project) I can see the unconnected vertices:

So yes, it's not related with TechDraw WB, it's probably related with SheetMetal WB. Thank you for finding this out.