Parametric updating of Drawing Dimensions

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ChemEngUser

Parametric updating of Drawing Dimensions

Post by ChemEngUser »

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to both FreeCAD and python (I only just downloaded today, so please forgive my inexperience). My goal for using FreeCAD is to have a standard drawing of a pressure vessel that has its radius, length, and nozzles updated automatically from excel and exported as a SVG file so that it can be used in a vessel specification sheet.

Updating the drawing automatically using Python doesn't seem to be too big an issue; however, I found out that the Drawing workbench requires an add-into show dimensions on the 2D drawing. Unfortunately, this add-in appears to have the limitation that the the dimensions will not update if the constraint variables are changed in the drawing, which throws a wrench in my plan. (Link: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Drawing ... ning_Addon)

Is there something that I am missing that would allow me to show dimensions in a 2D format that are able to get updated automatically via updating parameters in python?

Thanks in advance!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Parametric updating of Drawing Dimensions

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Drawing+DrawingDimensioning is deprecated, they are no longer maintained. Use TechDraw workbench instead. You don't have to go via SVG to create a pdf for your documentation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

I think in the Addon manager the annotation should be added: "This addon is marked as obsolete"
This is done also with other workbenches as e.g. Assembly2
ChemEngUser

Post by ChemEngUser »

Excellent, thank you both very much, this is precisely what I needed.