Problem using tutorial to make external threads

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
SupDoc

Problem using tutorial to make external threads

Post by SupDoc »

I am working my way through making external threads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDg9tXB_7hg and having some difficulty proceeding past the half-way point.

There are apparently some version differences between the tutorial and what I am using to complete the tasks. I have managed to overcome these differences to this point, but now I am stumped. We are just ready to start making threads. The problem is the menu that comes up when one clicks on the Pad in the Model panel. I can show the menu in the attached snippet image of the tutorial, but it goes away in my version, whenever I try to copy it.

I am using Windows 10 64-bit and my FreeCAD is 0.18.4.

Any body know how to proceed past this impass?
Attachments
Bolt_Problem.PNG
Bolt_Problem.PNG (416.01 KiB) Viewed 704 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Problem using tutorial to make external threads

Post by chrisb »

The tutorials of Roland are legend. Sadly he died in an accident before he could transform them to 0.17. There was a serious change in th workflow when 0.17 was introduced, thus we recommend to serious video creators to start with showing their FreeCAD version.

I recommend to use only those videos explicitely telling they were made with 0.17 or higher undtil you have more experience. Then you may decide on your own if a transformation to the new workflow is feasible.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

SupDoc wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:58 pm I am working my way through making external threads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDg9tXB_7hg and having some difficulty proceeding past the half-way point.
I am using Windows 10 64-bit and my FreeCAD is 0.18.4.
See Video tutorials.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

As soon as the PartDesign workbench occurs in a video you can distinguish between 0.16 and later:
0.16 had these tools:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-14 um 01.17.53.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-14 um 01.17.53.png (18.64 KiB) Viewed 690 times
while 0.18 has these (the green shapeBinder is from 0.19 though)
Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-14 um 01.16.38.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-14 um 01.16.38.png (25.96 KiB) Viewed 690 times
with DatumPint/Line/Plane, and additive and subtractive features.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

Hello
the Roland's video is alway suitable in V17 , 18 , 19 but in PartWb only
grooveman

Post by grooveman »

Hi SupDoc,

I had a similar problem a little while ago. I found that the tutorials I was trying to learn from were too old. Many times, you can get by with that, but not in this instance.

I started this thread, and with the help of the good people in this forum, was finally able to do make some very nice threads:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 1&start=10

Be advised, though, that if all you are trying to do is create nuts and bolts, there is a very good addon for that now, that could save you a lot of time. You won't learn much from it though, if that is your priority here.

g