Trying to unwrap a surface

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Trying to unwrap a surface

Post by sgrogan »

UR_ wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:22 pm Perhaps we have to ask a packager
erich wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:38 pm I guess it's not in the daily builds?
BUILD_FLAT_MESH needs to be enabled at build time so that the functionality is added to the MeshPart module that is used by the Mesh Design workbench.
This is not enabled for the PPA because of dependency challenges due to eign3, pybind11/libboost-python versions available.

So..., I don't foresee this being added to Ubuntu 16.04, I would suggest @erich use the AppImage. I know this isn't as convenient as using a native package manager, but 16.04 has become a nightmare to maintain with all the newest FreeCAD dependencies. I know @kkremitzki has worked hard to get the PPA working, but some compromises needed to be made (notice you are still using QT4). The .AppImage is using Conda as the package manager so the dependencies are advanced. @UR_ is using Conda based builds on Win, that's why it works for him.

We may be able to add a newer eigen3 to the PPA for 18.04, but I'm not sure. I will think of a way to test this with our Travis-CI support.
"fight the good fight"
erich

Post by erich »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:22 pm We may be able to add a newer eigen3 to the PPA for 18.04, but I'm not sure. I will think of a way to test this with our Travis-CI support.
I only run 16.04 at work. I'm on 18.04 at home (as this is a personal project we'll not discuss why I was posting from work :-)
Thanks for the explanation. It's all good now.
erich

Post by erich »

ulrich1a wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:31 pm Here is my macro as work in progress. It is not perfect. Some faces do overlap in difficult cases. It should unwrap shapes with flat and cylindrical and conical surfaces. But there are more cases than I can ever test.

Ulrich
THANKS! Worked perfectly!
Now I can build the front suspension a-arms for the race car.
Eric
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I will take a look at what is needed to backport eigen3 to Ubuntu 16.04. If it isn't too bad then I can try to turn on that build flag and hopefully that should take care of things.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
erich

Post by erich »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:36 am I will take a look at what is needed to backport eigen3 to Ubuntu 16.04. If it isn't too bad then I can try to turn on that build flag and hopefully that should take care of things.
You don't need to do that for me. Most of the work is done under 18.04, and the macro that Ulrich1a supplied did exactly what I needed.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:36 am I will take a look at what is needed to backport eigen3 to Ubuntu 16.04. If it isn't too bad then I can try to turn on that build flag and hopefully that should take care of things.
Thanks, I didn't realize that you have already backported pybind11 to 16.04.
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

BUILD_FLAT_MESH has been turned on for daily builds and it looks like no problems...
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.