[MERGED] Some shortcuts should be verified

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leoheck
Veteran

[MERGED] Some shortcuts should be verified

Post by leoheck »

Now, I am using Freecad 0.18.4 and 0.19 on Ubuntu 19.10

I found some shortcuts that do not work on Sketch's workbench.
I am using the touchpad's navigation style.

They are:

Ctrl+Shift+S Produce closed shape...
Ctrl+Shift+K Link the endpoint of an element...
Ctrl+Shift+C Select the constraints associated...
Ctrl+Shift+E Select elements associated...

I believe that all shortcuts starting with Ctrl+word censored+ have the same issue.

These shortcuts are generally used for other important things like:

Ctrl+Shift+S ---> Save-as
Last edited by abdullah on Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leoheck
Veteran

Re: Some shortcuts should be verified

Post by leoheck »

Also,

(C, M) in PartDesign to toggle the toolbar or selected elements to the construction line.
It does not work because the shortcut to create a coincident constraint is (C)
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

No one is interested in shortcuts for Freecad in linux? I think it is because of that they are not well-formed. haha
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Maybe you're just not the first => https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33901 :lol:
Actually I plan for a long time to try to make a consistent proposal for all shortcuts in FC but didn't find time up to now. ;)
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

openBrain it is nice to hear that.

Do you think other persons can help you with that?

Do you plan to use the same shortcut formation scheme or something else?

I personally don't like the C, M style for example. But just fixing the problematic shortcuts now would be a great improvement.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Everybody can help. :) But sure I'll need help to specify shortcuts in workbenches I never use. ;)
My plan was to :
  • Create a wiki page (for WIP in a first time, then for documentation when it's over)
  • Define global rules about shortcuts
  • List all functions that can be assigned a shortcut (globals, then by workbench)
  • Defines the shortcuts (according function usage ratio)
  • Locate in the code where shortcuts are stored
  • Deploy the shortcuts in the code
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Cool, so what do you think about start by doing the light work like creating a draft wiki page, so when volunteers appear to discuss we have a reference point to share the current information. Also, a draft of the first approach for the global rules can be there as well serving as a starting point to the discussion. Do you have any idea share about it?

We can also start by surveying the other known CAD tools to see what they use to do when they have a lot of features like Freecad has.

I believe that "listing all functions and that can be assigned a shortcut" can also be easy to start with, by following the current shortcuts. The same works for "locate in the code where the shortcuts are stored". We can use some automation here (grep or find will help here).
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

The time has come to work a very boring task: Keyboard shortcuts for the sketcher.

We know that many Sketcher shortcuts are broken. We know that we have tried to find a solution, but it has resisted. We know that we will eventually have to deal with it, but it is less attractive than coding other features:

https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=4220
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33901
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34733
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 05#p283072

[politician mode ON]

We can swear and I swear that we will fix this if I get elect...

[politician mode OFF]

Ok. Let's try to fix this now.

I am going to make a list of colliding shortcuts and propose a solution, that is going to include "two keystroke" for all constraints.

Oh, some other dev already coded so that the conflicts are shown in the console. How nice:
Accelerator conflict between Std_Refresh (Ctrl+R) and Std_Recompute (Ctrl+R)
Accelerator conflict between Std_ViewFullscreen (F11) and Std_MacroStepInto (F11)
Accelerator conflict between Std_MacroStepInto (F11) and Std_ViewFullscreen (F11)
Accelerator conflict between Sketcher_Trimming (T,R) and Sketcher_ConstrainTangent (T)
Accelerator conflict between Sketcher_Extend (T,E) and Sketcher_ConstrainTangent (T)
Accelerator conflict between Sketcher_Split (T,S) and Sketcher_ConstrainTangent (T)
Accelerator conflict between Sketcher_CarbonCopy (C,C) and Sketcher_ConstrainCoincident (C)
Accelerator conflict between Sketcher_ToggleConstruction (C,M) and Sketcher_ConstrainCoincident (C)
Accelerator conflict between Sketcher_ConstrainCoincident (C) and Sketcher_CarbonCopy (C,C)
Accelerator conflict between Sketcher_ConstrainVertical (V) and Std_OrthographicCamera (V, O)
Accelerator conflict between Sketcher_ConstrainTangent (T) and Sketcher_Extend (T,E)
Accelerator conflict between Sketcher_ConstrainSymmetric (S) and Std_LinkSelectLinked (S, G)
Accelerator conflict between Sketcher_ConstrainAngle (A) and Std_AxisCross (A,C)
Accelerator conflict between Sketcher_CloseShape (CTRL+SHIFT+S) and Std_SaveAs (Ctrl+Shift+S)
Accelerator conflict between Sketcher_SelectRedundantConstraints (CTRL+SHIFT+R) and Sketcher_SelectMalformedConstraints (CTRL+SHIFT+R)
I am open to ideas. This time it is going to happen. So fire here what you would like to have considered.
M4x
Veteran

Re: [IN DEVELOPMENT] Some shortcuts should be verified

Post by M4x »

Chennes did it.
chennes wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:38 pm I'm working on some code at the Command.cpp level to detect and warn on shortcuts that conflict, and I'm testing it on Sketcher.
I think the last (?) thread regarding this topic was quiete fruitful: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=59082

Maybe we can continue here?
Bance wrote: Ping
abdullah
Veteran

Re: [IN DEVELOPMENT] Some shortcuts should be verified

Post by abdullah »

First Package of sketcher shortcuts:

Constraints

C, C => Coincident
C, H => Horizontal
C, V => Vertical
C, O => Point on Object
C, D, D => Distance
C, D, H => Horizontal Distance
C, D, V => Vertical Distance
C, L => Lock
C, B => Block
C, P => Parallel
C, N => Perpendicular (Normal)
C, T => Tangent
C, R, R => Radius
C, R, D => Diameter
C, R, A => Automatic Radius/Diameter
C, R, C => Currently active Radius/Diameter/Automatic in the toolbar
C, A => Angle
C, E => Equal
C, S => Symmetric
C, W => Snell's Law
C, X => Toggle Driving/Reference
C, Z => Toggle Active/Inactive ("Z" evokes "ZZzz" , i.e, put to sleep)