[MERGED] Some shortcuts should be verified

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [MERGED] Some shortcuts should be verified

Post by chrisb »

I like some of your ideas, but others are too inconsequent for me to serve as a general template:
- Mnemonic of B?
- Shift for some geometric constraints, but not clear why these?
- Mnemonic of Shift+Z?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
BrandonGene

Post by BrandonGene »

Right, there are a couple of mnemonics that are a slight stretch in order to use only the left half of the keyboard. I listed any non-obvious mnemonics in the spreadsheet. Thankfully, Sketcher tools are used so frequently that muscle memory kicks in fast.

B = Bind to object
Z has the parallel lines at top/bottom and Shift-Z is just its opposite.

Shift vs non-shift was decided with a few factors.
1) Frequency of usage (non-shift being the quicker shortcut)
2) To leave the non-shifted key available as a prefix for other things (for example, Shift-S for Symmetry leaves all "S, ..." combos available.)
3) With some deference to the previous default shortcuts (e.g. H for Horizontal and Shift-H for Horizontal distance).

Shift is the key (literally and figuratively! :D ) to being able to keep everything left-handed.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I can follow your explanations, but I would still rate some these more as personal preferences than a clear strategy.
I like the approach of using the shape of the characters as reminders, because they are locale independent. "L" would then be better for normal. Since H would be a perfect match for horizontal distance I would remap it to the double key sequence.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
BrandonGene

Post by BrandonGene »

Locale independence is not something I had considered, thanks for pointing that out! Either way I'm just super glad that the shortcuts are sane now. I'll keep my Spreadsheet public for those interested in a blazingly fast config, but these are all totally serviceable for new users (maybe excluding Polyline's two-key shortcut?)
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

RT had a nice idea to support single keystroke shortcuts starting with a same letter as multiple keystroke shortcuts:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 67#p576367

I think it is worth to give it a thought (and even a test to the PR) to see if you can find any drawbacks (I do not see any), and if merged, it is probably meaningful to discuss how we could leverage it to have better shortcuts.
C_h_o_p_i_n

Post by C_h_o_p_i_n »

Hi All,

one (configurable) option migth be to take "Key" & "Spacebar" for the "basic" function ... while "Key" & (modifier) "Key" is used for ... extended ... shortcuts.

in other words ... the 2nd key ist treated as modifier to the first key and "Space" is used as "no modifier/no extention"

Just as an idea.

Regards
prcek

Post by prcek »

Hello all,
is there a way how to transfer (unchanged) shortcuts from FC0.19 to FC0.20? I'm quite conservative and I want to continue using shortcuts I'm used to (like L for line and Shift-H for horizontal length).

Also in Release notes for 0.20 [1] referenced screenshot [2] is wrong at least with Horizontal and Vertical distance shortcuts.

Prcek

[1] https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Release_not ... _Workbench
[2] https://wiki.freecadweb.org/images/0/0c ... raints.png
SammysHP

Post by SammysHP »

prcek wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:54 pm is there a way how to transfer (unchanged) shortcuts from FC0.19 to FC0.20? I'm quite conservative and I want to continue using shortcuts I'm used to (like L for line and Shift-H for horizontal length).
I'd like to support this request. With the new preferences packs this sounds like an easy task for someone with the knowledge how to restore all old shortcuts for the Sketcher.