[MERGED] Some shortcuts should be verified

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leoheck
Veteran

Re: [IN DEVELOPMENT] Some shortcuts should be verified

Post by leoheck »

abdullah wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:14 am .. And I invite you to start using the keyboard shortcuts. It is important for your health.
This is really true but not for health only. But to speed up the design process and make life easier.
leoheck
Veteran

Re: [MERGED] Some shortcuts should be verified

Post by leoheck »

I would like to propose having shortcuts available in the tooltips too but right after the title like in the following image?
rect10155.png
rect10155.png (89.65 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
rynn

Post by rynn »

Hello,

being refered from here here.

I don’t understand the difference between
Sketcher_CompConstrainRadDia / Constrain arc or circle (shortcut: R ) and
Sketcher_ConstrainRadiam / Constrain auto radius/diameter (shortcut: K, S )

They seem to do the same thing…
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

rynn wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:55 am They seem to do the same thing…
I wanted to note here your other suggestion in the German thread. A shortcut for editing a constraint to avoid the "triple click" (one selection, then double to edit). I think it makes sense to have a command and then a shortcut, so that one can click to select and press the shortcut to edit. Noted.

The example:
Peek 24-10-2021 16-38.gif
Peek 24-10-2021 16-38.gif (304.85 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
Most people today use by default "smart radius", which for a circle generates a diameter and for an arc a radius. Alternatives are always "diameter" for arc or circle and always "radius" for arc or circle.

One of the three is the one being shown in the toolbar (the last selected by the user). "R" will trigger that one "the last selected by the user".

So if you are introducing always "Radius", no matter if it is a full circle or an arc, you can then select the radius tool once in the toolbar, then trigger with "R" this tool. If then you want to start introducing diameters for everything, then select in the toolbar diameter once, by hitting "R" you will be introducing diameters.

It is intended as a convenience for the user.

Hope that helps :)
rynn

Post by rynn »

abdullah wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:43 pm Hope that helps :)
Yes, it helped. Thanks a lot.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I am quite happy with the new shortcuts. Alas I always find the vertical distance "I" a bit cumbersome, because it looks more like the vertical constraint (without distance). Even more cumbersome is the horizontal distance because neither the letter "L" nor its visual representation really represents "horizontal". If the vertical distance should remain, then for horizontal it would be more appropriate to use the minus sign "-" for horizontal.

I would like to hear how others get accustomed to these shortcuts. If it is only me, then we should leave it like it is, but if others are stumbling over these on nearly every usage too, it may be worth thinking a bit more about them.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I agree with you Chris, I don't know if there's a difference between the minus sign and a regular dash - that could be better, personally I was happy with having the dimensions as shift+v/h should we maybe keep both shortcuts?

Another thing, shouldn't this thread be in the development forum? It's very easy to miss it in the help forum that gets on a daily basis a ton of post not related to development decisions. I missed most of the discussion of this because I don't check ALL the help forum post, I'm certain I would have seen it if it was in development though
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:13 pm personally I was happy with having the dimensions as shift+v/h should we maybe keep both shortcuts?
If it is possible I would appreciate everything that brings clarity for me back.
Another thing, shouldn't this thread be in the development forum?
Abdullah should move it, if he feels so, but I think that this is not really a developer question, but rather a user interaction one. It receives probably highest attention by power and other users. A good place would be the UI forum, but I'm afraid it will not find more attention there.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

A time will come to review these after I finish the ViewProviderSketch refactoring.

I would like to add one more point. I have just realized that the 'z' starting shortcuts interfere with the 'z' as used for switching in the Elements Widget.
BrandonGene

Post by BrandonGene »

Wow.

First of all, a HUGE thank you to Abdullah for kickstarting the conversation and putting some design thought into this. It's absolutely worth the hassle to make these shortcuts consistent and meaningful. I really like what you did here. Shortcuts are a very personal thing but this strikes a decent middle ground in all aspects: memorability, speed, and isolation between workbenches.

I use FreeCAD exclusively for Sketcher and Part Design, which allows me to make some different tradeoffs than this layout. Overlaps were tested only against global shortcuts by unloading all but these two workbenches before binding. For my setup, Shift is used for a good deal of constraints. Shift is as second nature to me as "palming" the Ctrl key. It means that every left handed key has its capacity doubled while maintaining strong mnemonics by being able to use the most relevant character for two functions rather than one. With that extra capacity, it is possible to let your left hand rest on home row for all of the frequently used Sketcher tools and use the 'K, ...' shortcuts for less frequent tools. The frequency of tool changes in Sketcher is extremely high, and I felt like its keyboard shortcuts should support that by not requiring hunt/peck to the opposite side of the keyboard. (I'm looking at you, K for constraints! ;)) If you're sitting on home row with your left hand already, Shift+R is going to beat K+R every time because fingers are so much faster than arms. It also doesn't require looking down.

You can safely ignore every Part Design shortcut if it is too off-topic for this thread, but I have also bound almost all Part Design features without overlapping any of the Sketcher features. I would estimate less than 10% of the Part Design shortcuts are anything but the first two letters of the command (or first letter of the pair of words). Caveat: I have listed some List/Pie menu shortcuts that will only work in the Link branch. These are an extra convenience to be used during the learning process. If you don't know the shortcut for a function, you can access a filtered List/Pie menu and check it from there without having to scan 30+ icons. I do not find myself using the List/Pie menus often at all as the Part Design shortcuts themselves are super easy to absorb.

I've been using a spreadsheet to track all of my changes, which I've branched off into a sheet here that I won't be touching any more: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Additionally, I've screenshotted the menus for the configuration I prefer of the two listed in this spreadsheet. You can find the batch of 3 images here: https://imgur.com/a/M4vsaxH

I hope that this layout may be considered for future inclusion, or at the very least some inspiration may be taken from it for anyone who finds the new shortcuts not to their liking.