Ticket #4211 - Alignment issues with ShapeBinder and PartDesign_Boolean

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Dan-K

Ticket #4211 - Alignment issues with ShapeBinder and PartDesign_Boolean

Postby Dan-K » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:29 pm

I'm having difficulties using PartDesign ShapeBinder and PartDesign Boolean (fuse).

I'm using a body to include additions to a common reference body which is cloned using Draft Clone. The cloned object is added to the extended body using PartDesign Boolean (fuse). This body is then positioned using Draft Move. I create a PartDesign ShapeBinder of the base in my extended body which initially renders properly. However, after moving the extended body, the ShapeBinder moves along with it. This is an issue because I need to make additional references to the ShapeBinder object but the position is off now.

In the image I attached, you can see the original Reference Body in purple, the stationary base body in green, and the moved extended body in blue. As can be seen in the image, the ShapeBinder is not over the green base.

I looked at options to align the ShapeBinder to the original reference but this is not possible.

Another way I'm trying to fix this by repositioning the Boolean feature but one of the limitations of this operation prevents me from doing that:
Limitations:
- Tool bodies adopt the local origin of the active Body. If the active Body is not located at (0,0,0) in the global coordinate system, the tool bodies' placement need to be relative to the active Body. It may be easier to leave the active Body's placement at the origin before applying the Boolean feature, then to change its placement.
Would removing this limitation be possible as a feature request?

Are there any workarounds I can use?
Attachments
test3.FCStd
(28.2 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
alignment-issue.png
alignment-issue.png (262.75 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Last edited by Kunda1 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Prepended ticket number to thread title
chrisb

Re: Alignment issues with ShapeBinder and PartDesign_Boolean

Postby chrisb » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:04 am

I'm not sure to fully understand, but you may try setting TraceSupport of the ShapeBinder to true.
You need at least FreeCAD 0.19.23300 to edit my current sketches.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Dan-K

Postby Dan-K » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:40 am

chrisb wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:04 am
I'm not sure to fully understand, but you may try setting TraceSupport of the ShapeBinder to true.
Yes this is almost at the solution. Setting TraceSupport does render the ShapeBinder correctly but when I try to use it to PartDesign Pad 'Up to face', it doesn't correctly extend the pad up to the actual face, but rather, the position of the face before TraceSupport was turned on.

In the image, notice how the smaller blue shaft doesn't reach the face I selected when TraceSupport is turned on. When it's turned off, it does reach the face but the ShapeBinder is in the wrong location.
Attachments
alignment-issue3.png
alignment-issue3.png (138.49 KiB) Viewed 397 times
alignment-issue2.png
alignment-issue2.png (125.76 KiB) Viewed 397 times
Dan-K

Postby Dan-K » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:49 am

Ah although 'Up to face' doesn't work, I'm able to map a sketch to the corrected ShapeBinder and pad to the desired part! Thanks chrisb!
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:21 am

I guess the ShapeBinder is not really a face.
Wrong direction of a pad can be fixed by checking "Reversed".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Dan-K

Postby Dan-K » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:52 pm

chrisb wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:21 am
I guess the ShapeBinder is not really a face.
Wrong direction of a pad can be fixed by checking "Reversed".
ShapeBinder does consist of faces, as can be seen in my screenshots with 'ShapeBinder:Face7' selected.
Also, 'Up to face' padding does work with 'TraceSupport' turned off.

So obviously this must be some sort of bug. Should I create a report or is it known?

I didn't have any issues with a wrong direction of a pad, not sure why you mentioned this. But yes the final workaround which I mentioned in my last reply involves reversing the direction of the pad.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:12 am

Before creating a bug report you should test it with the latest 0.19 version. If it persist please upload your file or even better a most simplified one which just shows the issue, so that others can confirm.
Dan-K

Postby Dan-K » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:09 pm

chrisb wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:12 am
Before creating a bug report you should test it with the latest 0.19 version. If it persist please upload your file or even better a most simplified one which just shows the issue, so that others can confirm.
Just tried it on 0.19 (18811) and the bug is still present.

When 'TraceSupport' is turned off, there is no issue padding up to one of the ShapeBinder's surface:
alignment-issue5.PNG
alignment-issue5.PNG (121.03 KiB) Viewed 316 times
but once 'TraceSupport' is turned on, there is an error:
alignment-issue4.PNG
alignment-issue4.PNG (103.77 KiB) Viewed 316 times
I already uploaded a simplified file in my first post (test3.FCStd).
Dan-K

Postby Dan-K » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:06 am