FreeCAD 0.18 auto constraints not working

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lexone

FreeCAD 0.18 auto constraints not working

Post by lexone »

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Creatin ... PartDesign

I am trying to learn from this guide, and the 'auto constraints' are not working, I have to manually set them no matter what I do. I just downloaded the Windows 64 bit client from this website two days ago; https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Downloads

I have restarted the program and started over from scratch several times and each time I reset all preferences (including sketcher preferences) to default before creating a body. I cannot follow this guide properly because the basic functionality of auto constraints do not work, please see my attached file where I've drawn the first 5 straight lines, and let me know if I've done anything wrong on my end.

Thank you very much for your help.
Attachments
AutoConstraintsDontWork.FCStd
(4.96 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 0.18 auto constraints not working

Post by chrisb »

The autoconstraint setting is stored per sketch. And unhappily the checkbox in Sketcher's Edit controls shows always the value from the preferences. So you can do the following:
1) Edit a sketch or go to Sketcher workbench and then in Preferences->Sketcher check Auto constraints
2) When editing a sketch, toggle the value of Auto constraints off and on.

Furthermore I would recommend to use Sketcher's polyline. Try the M key after having completed the first segment, and see different continuation modes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
lexone

Post by lexone »

chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:24 am The autoconstraint setting is stored per sketch. So you can do the following:
1) Edit a sketch or go to Sketcher workbench and then in Preferences->Sketcher check Auto constraints
2) When editing a sketch, toggle the value of Auto constraints off and on.
Thank you so much! I have clue why, but performing the exact same steps I previously stated while I was in an existing sketch (toggling on/off the auto-constraint settings both in preferences and in the combo box did the trick for some reason. What's really strange is that I have never once turned off auto-constraints ever since I downloaded the program, but at least I'm back on track now!

Thanks again. :D :lol:
Just Another Sparky

Post by Just Another Sparky »

Same issue. Checking and un-checking the Preferences -> Sketcher -> Auto Constraints box all day long does nothing for me.

It borken. What do?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Enable it in the Sketcher task panel ?
Just Another Sparky

Post by Just Another Sparky »

Oh, so there's a redundant checkbox for it with broken control logic. 'A' will turn 'B' off, 'A' will not turn 'B' on, 'B' will not turn 'A' on or off.

Got it working, thanks.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Actually in Preferences you choose the default setting for newly created sketch. Then this is a per sketch setting.
Though you're right there is some sync problems in the UI for this latter case. ;)
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

It must be staring me in the face, but I still can't see it. What does this icon look like? Islowly moused over each icon, can't find this turn on auto constraints. I have the same problem:
constrints.png
constrints.png (57.06 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

There is no icon, it is in the Panel to the left. Click on "Edit controls".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

run_the_race wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:07 pmIt must be staring me in the face
chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:24 amthe checkbox in Sketcher's Edit controls
Snip macro screenshot-940d95.png
Snip macro screenshot-940d95.png (41.03 KiB) Viewed 1385 times

Helps if one actually reads the posts above :lol: :lol: :lol: