Changing Parameters often messes up Sketches

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bayesian

Changing Parameters often messes up Sketches

Post by Bayesian »

I often try to use the sketcher to make something parametrical, for example a rounded box may have the width, height and radius as a parameter.

Now, when those parameters change, the constraint solver will often mess up the sketch, for example by flipping one of the corner arcs, and not being able to solve correctly.

The way I specify my sketches often leaves additional solutions, for example with rounded boxes. Is there any way I can specify that something has to be on the right of the other, or something like that? I also may be missing something about geometric constraints.
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Changing Parameters often messes up Sketches

Post by openBrain »

You can have a look at this thread (second half part will be the more interesting for you). ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Changing Parameters often messes up Sketches

Post by chrisb »

Models become more stable with respect to flipping if you can use angular constraints instead of linear dimensions. Angles are directed, while distances are not - except those from the origin, which you get if you select only one point and apply a dimensional constraint.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.