Sketch Loses Shape After Spreadsheet Dim Change

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ivxcvi

Sketch Loses Shape After Spreadsheet Dim Change

Post by ivxcvi »

Hello,

Currently I'm working on rebuilding this design in FreeCAD.

I've attached the file below. My issue is that when I change dimensions in the spreadsheet, the tabs seemingly randomly become inverted. I've tried different constraints in those locations, but nothing seems to work completely consistently.

I'm wondering if it's a mathematical problem with ratios, or simply my lack of proper constraint awareness.

Thanks so much for any input, it's greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------------------
Storage_Dresser_Horiz.FCStd
Part dims are quite small in order to 3D print before cutting stock.
(20.13 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sketch Loses Shape After Spreadsheet Dim Change

Post by chrisb »

The flipping cannot always be avoided, but I have some hints in my Sketcher tutorial how to avoid it. These hints are based on the fact that lines are not handled with their directions while angles are.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

My advice to prevent flipping is to change the dimensioning .
In this design I see a dimension "Width" of 38.1 mm and a "Thickness" of 3.175 mm.
Inroduce a Dimension Width-2 and let the spreadsheet calculate 38.1 - 3.175.
Now the Width-2 is a hard dimension and flipping of the 3.175 mm is not possible
Attachments
Storage_Dresser_Willem.FCStd
(21.33 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
ivxcvi

Post by ivxcvi »

Hello,

Thanks for dropping that link, Mario. That's an interesting solution, but I don't think it quite fits my specific application at this time. I appreciate you sharing it, though!

I've incorporated both chrisb's & Willem's suggestions into the new sketch. It seems to be working the way I expect now. I'm pretty sure the angle constraints are what made the difference, but the jury is still out on that.

Please feel free to play around with sizes & let me know if there are any other issues. I'm going to tackle the back & side sketches next.

--------------------------------------
Storage_Dresser_Horiz.FCStd
(20.58 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
ivxcvi

Post by ivxcvi »

Hello,

The back sketch is complete. I'll post all 3 after I run some tests & have a final result. Right now I'm having an issue with the design for the side. It's difficult because I want the center slots to be independently adjusted, so I don't think I can mirror it. Right now there seems to be conflicting constraints, or some other problem, because I can't move any of the lines.

Is there a better way to design this shape?

Thanks,

----------------
Storage_Dresser_Side.FCStd
(30.78 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I cannot see any conflicts, and applying further constraints works well. However you used some uncommon constraints: Usually horizontal and vertical constraints are preferred to the 90° angle. Maybe it is these angular constraints which prevent free moving. (I admit that using angles can make sketches more robust against changes in previous steps.)
If you want to dimension a horizontal line, as you did with constraint73 you should prefer the horizontal distance constraint over the length constraint.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ivxcvi

Post by ivxcvi »

Hi chrisb,

Yes, the 90° constraints were used to keep the shape when dimensions were changed. I will take another look at changing them over & see how the sketch fares when changing sizes.

Constraint73 was set with the Length constraint because it's meant to change both horizontal & vertical lines (tab depth on top, bottom, back & slots).

If anyone has any pointers on how to improve my workflow with this design I'm happy to try them.

----------------------------------------

Spent a little more time on it. I've found that the order in which I add constraints has allowed me to overcome my problem. I removed everything but the coincident & symmetry constraints & started over. I added the equality and horizontal/vertical constraints before I added any datum constraints. I haven't observed how the sketch fares as I adjust dimensions, but it's fully constrained and square. Once I get my 3D printer going again I'll print some test pieces & then it's on to the real thing.

-----------------------------------------

I've created a git repo for all of my design files, which is available here.