Dos & Don'ts / common pitfalls / best practice / workarounds / lessons learned

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Markymark

Dos & Don'ts / common pitfalls / best practice / workarounds / lessons learned

Postby Markymark » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:09 am

Hi,

I started with FreeCAD roughly four weeks ago and get along quite well so far. Especially the option to script your own stuff via Python easily is a real killer feature for me. Nevertheless I found that there are quite some strings attached at some points. Just yesterday I missed an option within A2Plus and it took me quite a while (and communication with the developer) to figure out the trivial issue (on my side). Some days ago I learned that switching off refinement can solve issues similarly ...

Just as an idea: Maybe it makes sense to start a place (forum or wiki) were those "little secrets" can be shared in a consolidated way. Like "Got an issue ... check this list first." I realized that there is a FAQ section in the wiki (https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/FAQ) as well as in the forum (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 64#p170906). But they don't seem to be maintained very dynamically. Having DeepL and colleagues at disposal it could be an idea to process just English language and don't waste time and effort with translation. So, a quick & dirty way to get those valuable tips & tricks communicated in short form and with highest impact.

Just an idea ...

Rgrds,

Mark
chrisb

Re: Dos & Don'ts / common pitfalls / best practice / workarounds / lessons learned

Postby chrisb » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:39 am

It's a good idea. Alas, if you look at the Help forum, there are so many special questions that it will be for one very difficult to extract the essentials of similar but not identical questions and for two such a list would be extremely long, and for three, and that's the most important: what should be the contents of such entries? Probably an exact descriptions of how to use some basic functions.

Well, for that the wiki is the right place to document.
Markymark

Re: Dos & Don'ts / common pitfalls / best practice / workarounds / lessons learned

Postby Markymark » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:51 am

what should be the contents of such entries?
Yes, that's true. I would say those non obvious tweaks. Like: switch of refinement if geometry if screwed up. But what's obvious an whats not might be highly dependent on the individual point of view. Well, as I said .. just and idea.

VG m.
vocx

Postby vocx » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:45 pm

Markymark wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:09 am
... I realized that there is a FAQ section in the wiki (https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/FAQ) as well as in the forum (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 64#p170906). But they don't seem to be maintained very dynamically.
FreeCAD is an open project, so you don't need permission to test and implement your ideas. You can just do it yourself. If it's a good idea it will catch on and become popular in a short time.

The FAQs were created precisely because some users took the initiative to write them. They were tired of answering the same questions over and over again, so they decided to find a solution to that. But no solution is perfect and it may need constant maintenance by interested parties.

So my advice is, don't wait for us, the FreeCAD community, to do something; if you think you can improve things, then do it yourself, and promote it. I've added and modified hundreds of pages in the wiki because I thought there was incomplete, incorrect, and outdated information, or information that could be explained in a better way. I don't know if this will be useful to somebody else beside me, but I still do it.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
freedman

Postby freedman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:33 am

How about all one liners.

Viewer options
Set view rotatation center: Place the cursor on the model and press "H", this is the new rotation center.

Sketcher
Dimensioning
Adjust a constrained object realtime. Select any dimension constraint and click the "toggle constraint to ref", now drag the object to adjust the dimension realtime.

Part Design

Pads

Pockets
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:05 pm

If anyone's interested there's a slowburn attempt to create a Tips database for FreeCAD
https://github.com/luzpaz/FreeCAD-Tips
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features