cant snap to intersections

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tonyaimer

cant snap to intersections

Post by tonyaimer »

Hi all

Long standing ACAD user (30yrs ) but I cant do some simple things because freecad has a very different workflow to that which I am used to.

My current problem. - I cannot snap to intersection points when drawing a line in the draft workbench.

I am using version 0.18

I am on the draft workbench and i have toggle ON I have Intersection ON

I try to draw a line with the CTRL key down and I am missing the intersection point but the adjacent lines turn yellow. Is there an equivalent to ACAD pickbox or something similar I am missing out on? In preferences Draft i have tolerance set to 2.0 and I am expecting to work in mm.

Sorry for the silly question - I am sure someone must hav ethe answer here.

Tony
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: cant snap to intersections

Post by Roy_043 »

Try switching all (or most) other snaps off.

BTW: Ctrl key down: why?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Keys and mouse buttons may depend on the Mouse Model used.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:53 am Try switching all (or most) other snaps off.

BTW: Ctrl key down: why?
In the Draft Preferences you can set if the Snap is always on, or only when you press a modifier key. The modifier key is Ctrl by default. This means that if you untick "Always snap", you need to hold Ctrl to activate snapping. This may give you better control of snapping.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

@vocx: Thanks. That probably explains it.
tonyaimer

Post by tonyaimer »

Thanks for the replies but I think I have solved my own problem.

I was trying to snap ( using intersection ) to the corners of two rectangle objects with no fillet or chamfer.

It seems like you cant do that but need to use "end" rather.

Unless someone else knows how to do it.

I must go and update my acad lisp routine for my polyrect program to include fillets and chamfers.

Regards

Tony Aimer
degarb

Post by degarb »

Why is it that when I zoom into lines at high magnification, they rarely ever snap correctly, despite locked snap to endlines, as well as trying control. I must always zoom fifty times and join lines and trim lines. It is really pathetic and is the reason machine shops are saying they need to clean up my free cad drawings. Snap already! What am I missing?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Occasionally such things are only visual effects. Or you have too many snap options enabled. Can you upload a prefereably simple example with a detailed step by step description how to reproduce?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.