Importing/opening files from devices (mac)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
appychappie

Importing/opening files from devices (mac)

Post by appychappie »

Hi all,
just starting out with Freecad main use to convert step files to a solid file type to animate in Blender. Hit brick wall already the import file browser window will not show my devices as in any usb drives network drives etc. Any ideas would be helpful
Thanks
wmayer
Founder

Re: Importing/opening files from devices (mac)

Post by wmayer »

Seems to be a Qt bug. Can you test any other Qt-based application to confirm this?
appychappie

Post by appychappie »

thanks for the reply not sure what qt apps i would have you don't mean quicktime do you.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

No, not QT (= QuickTime). I said Qt (the GUI toolkit). You can try to build the test application here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4112&p=32357&hilit= ... log#p32386
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello,
appychappie wrote:just starting out with Freecad main use to convert step files to a solid file type to animate in Blender.
I just want to point out that this statement is wrong.

STEP is already a solid filetype. If you cut a STEP model you will see its inside is filled (unless only construction surfaces were exported from the original model).

And Blender does not work with solids, but with poygonal meshes. Meshes can make an enclosed volume but it will be empty with no thickness value, hence not solid.

Two mesh formats that FreeCAD can export to and Blender can use are OBJ and STL.