PartDesign placement issues

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

PartDesign placement issues

Post by uwestoehr »

I think there are 2 placement issues:

- in PartDesign, create a box
- select the box in the tree and use the menu Edit -> Placement
result: no matter what you do there, the box is not transformed.

- right-click on a body in PartDesign
result: the context menu misses an entry to change the placement

Can I open a bug report and try to fix this or do i miss something?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: PartDesign placement issues

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:00 pm - in PartDesign, create a box
- select the box in the tree and use the menu Edit -> Placement
result: no matter what you do there, the box is not transformed.
That's how PartDesign works: The features and sketches are not moved by their placement, but by AttachmentOffset. This is no bug.

- right-click on a body in PartDesign
result: the context menu misses an entry to change the placement
That seems to be consistent with Part objects, where neither Box, nor cylinder, nor cone have Placement in their context menu. This is no bug.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

Nay :!: the bug is in your mouse :lol:
you have to change the placement of the body , not of the box
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:14 pm That's how PartDesign works: The features and sketches are not moved by their placement, but by AttachmentOffset. This is no bug.
The bug is that the menu is not disabled. Since a box cannot be placed, the menu must be disabled.
chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:14 pm That seems to be consistent with Part objects, where neither Box, nor cylinder, nor cone have Placement in their context menu. This is no bug.
Sorry, my mistake. Of course this is no bug, but a missing feature I would like to add since it saves time.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If the placement is expanded in the Data tab, the edit fields are visible but disabled. This seems very sensible to me as a source of information. The Placement dialog serves the same purpose, alas, the input fields are not disabled. We are probably both wrong stating it is no bug: The Menu->Edit->Placement entry was probably forgotten to be disabled. An indicator for this is, that the three-dots-button does not occur in the Data tab.

If you want to allow editing placement directly, it is a strong indicator that you got the attachment of the sketch wrong. You then should reattach it directly to the body's origin and and change the AttachmentOffset there. Doing it different seems to obscure things rather than clarify. I would like to see some real life use cases showing the opposite. As allowing the direct change of Placement defeats the well established workflow of PartDesign, it might be better to create an addon, some kind of special PartDesign-Sketch-Manipulator, so that you can decide yourself if you want it or not.

If you allow changing Placement directly you should tell how and where to propagate it. Should the result of changing Placement be a change of the item to which it is attached, too?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:25 pm We are probably both wrong stating it is no bug: The Menu->Edit->Placement entry was probably forgotten to be disabled.
Yes, this is what I mean. If an object is selected in the tree that cannot be transformed using the placement dialog, its menu entry must be disabled.
chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:25 pm If you allow changing Placement directly you should tell how and where to propagate it. Should the result of changing Placement be a change of the item to which it is attached, too?
All I want is to add the context menu entry "Placement" for tree objects that can be transformed using the placement dialog.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The context menu of Part Objects and PartDesign Body is already rather crowded. I would prefer not fill it further. With some luck we may get a combined Placement/Transform tool, then we have it automatically in the context menu.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Btw: this PR causes a regression because now the Rotation elements are squashed in height that looks quite ugly and you can't see the numbers any more. I wonder what's the point in reducing the height of this dialog? Or does it really eat all your vertical space?
Placement.png
Placement.png (7.7 KiB) Viewed 656 times
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

wmayer wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:44 pm Fixed with git commit 2e31417aa

Code: Select all

OS: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) (X-Cinnamon/lightdm-xsession)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19209 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 2e31417aa46d34e01f8f815f306baead62368e38
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
Works, thanks for fast fix!