How to rotate in a sketch?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

How to rotate in a sketch?

Postby falviani » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:03 pm

I have a shape in a sketch that I'd like to rotate 180 degrees (effectively around the Z axis). How can I do this? There are no obvious tools in the sketcher interface. For a simple shape it could be manually copied with the rotation applied, but this gets rapidly out out hand.

Thanks in advance,
Frank
drmacro

Re: How to rotate in a sketch?

Postby drmacro » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:21 pm

There is more than one way to do it.

But, If I understand your needs correctly.

It is currently mapped to a given plane (XY, XZ, etc.).

The quickest way is to select the desired plane in the model tree, then select
remap.png
remap.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 142 times
to remap, then select the sketch you desire to remap.
vocx

Postby vocx » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:05 pm

falviani wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:03 pm
I have a shape in a sketch that I'd like to rotate 180 degrees (effectively around the Z axis). How can I do this? There are no obvious tools in the sketcher interface. ...
Did you see the property editor?

One of the properties is the Placement, which you can modify.

If the Sketch is inside a PartDesign Body, then most probably the Sketch has a "Map mode" and is "attached" to one of the Body's planes. In this case, you modify the Attachment Offset of the Sketch.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
openBrain

Postby openBrain » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:21 pm

bejant

Postby bejant » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:28 pm

falviani wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:03 pm
I have a shape in a sketch that I'd like to rotate 180 degrees (effectively around the Z axis).
I think that there are a few different ways to interpret that but what I'm guessing you want is this:
If your Sketch is on the YZ Axis and you want to Rotate one shape inside the Sketch 180 degrees around the Z Axis, you can't do that with one Sketch. You need to another Sketch. One Sketch has the original geometry and the other has the geometry you want to rotate 180 degrees around the Z Axis. You can use Sketcher > Carbon Copy to copy the geometry of the first Sketch into the second Sketch. In the first Sketch change the geometry you won't rotate to Construction Geometry (blue). In the second Sketch delete geometry (or change to Construction Geometry) except the geometry you will rotate. Changes made to the first Sketch don't propagate to the Carbon Copy. Now use Attachment Offset to rotate the second Sketch 180 degrees.
freman

Postby freman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:46 pm

I have a shape in a sketch that I'd like to rotate 180 degrees (effectively around the Z axis).
As bejant says, there are several ways to interpret that statement, but I'd guess that you mean it is in the XY plane and you want to rotate about the normal to that plane, ie the z axis.

Look at Placement , you will find axis z has a value of 1 and x,y are zero. set angle to 180 and I think you will get what you are trying to do.

If that is not the right guess please attach your fcstd file or give a fuller, non ambiguous description.
freedman

Postby freedman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:45 pm

Here is another option depending on your usage. Mirror sketch.
Attachments
180_out.JPG
180_out.JPG (8.08 KiB) Viewed 81 times