Import Hover.io model to FreeCAD for BIM/Arch

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
blacey

Import Hover.io model to FreeCAD for BIM/Arch

Post by blacey »

Recently I used Hover.to to produce a house model to visualize various siding and window patterns however Hover's grill patterns and materials are fairly limited. Hover exports to Sketchup and DXF so I thought "no problem", I'll just pull a DXF export into FreeCAD and have at it - turns out that is a bit more complex than it sounds.

The imported DXF is fairly unorganized and unusable (a bunch of simple part lines and meshes). I've scoured the BIM/Arch/Draft information available that shows converting imported parts to sketches and merging them but I am struggling with transforming the specific import into something usable within FreeCAD. My ultimate goal is to use FreeCAD to visualize remodel options. I have already modeled the window and door options in FreeCAD that I would like to drop into the imported model for visualization with siding and roofing materials.

Here is the Hover model using Hover's 3D viewer/editor and the FreeCAD model after importing the DXF file.

So the goal of this "help" post is to solicit hints and tips from the BIM gurus for transforming the DXF import into something a bit more usable - basically point me in the right direction to get me over the initial hurdle. I have uploaded the DXF file to dropbox in case anyone wants to review the import to provide guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19323 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 1b198453b8eb6aa2eaca4e4be4b49fee74e9de6e
Python version: 3.8.1
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
FreeCAD-view.jpg
FreeCAD-view.jpg (95.05 KiB) Viewed 569 times
Hover.to-view.jpg
Hover.to-view.jpg (122.12 KiB) Viewed 569 times
vocx
Veteran

Re: Import Hover.io model to FreeCAD for BIM/Arch

Post by vocx »

blacey wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:24 am ...
So the goal of this "help" post is to solicit hints and tips from the BIM gurus for transforming the DXF import into something a bit more usable...
I would just use the imported DXF as a guide. Using it as reference, I'd remodel the entire thing in FreeCAD, which will result in a fully parametric model.

It's difficult to re-use a 3D object, whether a solid, or mesh, because you don't have the parametric information which was used to create such model.

In most cases, a DXF is used for the floor plan, from which you can take measurements, and create the solid walls. See the Arch tutorial. It's a bit old, but it describes the steps in a general sense.

For more information watch the recommended architectural videos in Video tutorials.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.