Bug report

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Bug report

Post by paddle »

Hi there,
Few bugs to report.
I made a video it's easier to explain.
https://youtu.be/sQeNeAshZMM

Trying to reproduce RetroStone1 case on freecad. I opened STEP file first to show you what's the target.

Bug 1: Trying to pocket from a datumplane does not work. Though if I make the square smaller it then works. Then I can make it bigger afterwards. But when I edit the sketch after the solid disappear?
(I also tried to slice with the datum plane but then it's not a single solid and shell cannot be applied.)

Bug2 : Cannot shell with thickness inward.

Bug3 : The fillet tool does not offer possibility to make chamfer instead of fillet. There should be a tick boxe I read from wiki. Also I cannot set the side. It seems a pop up windows is not appearing.

windows7 freecad 0.18
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Bug report

Post by chrisb »

Moved from PartDesign development. Post there if you have questions concerning the development of PartDesign.

Your 3 bugs are in fact only one:
paddle wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:58 pm Bug 1: Trying to pocket from a datumplane does not work. Though if I make the square smaller it then works. Then I can make it bigger afterwards. But when I edit the sketch after the solid disappear?
No bug. With the big rectangle you cut the solid in two. That's not allowed in PartDesign. If you change the rectangle from small to big, an arbitrary part is discarded. Better handling of the erroneous state could be desirable
Bug2 : Cannot shell with thickness inward.
Thickness is very picky. It is well known, and comes from the 3rd party geometric kernel. FreeCAD can nothing do about it.

Bug3 : The fillet tool does not offer possibility to make chamfer instead of fillet. There should be a tick boxe I read from wiki. Also I cannot set the side. It seems a pop up windows is not appearing.
This seems rather a feature request than a bug. Please give the pointer to the wiki. There may be an error in the documentation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In another post you ask about Draft Fillet, and I assume that your 3rd bug refers to that tool. However, in the video you show a Sketch in Sketcher. There is no chamfering in Sketcher.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:43 pm In another post you ask about Draft Fillet, and I assume that your 3rd bug refers to that tool. However, in the video you show a Sketch in Sketcher. There is no chamfering in Sketcher.
Ok I understand. I am not totally sure to understand the difference between draft workbench and sketch. Then indeed it's a feature request. I think this should be pretty simple to add as it's very similar to fillet?
chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:43 pmNo bug. With the big rectangle you cut the solid in two. That's not allowed in PartDesign. If you change the rectangle from small to big, an arbitrary part is discarded. Better handling of the erroneous state could be desirable
What is the correct way to do what I'm trying to do then (cutting the corners)? There does not seem to be a cut tool. I should make the plane offset to the outside of the solid and pocket it from outside ? This is not very intuitive. Maybe the pocket tool could try to apply the pocket to see if the result is 2 solids before throwing an error?
chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:43 pmThickness is very picky. It is well known, and comes from the 3rd party geometric kernel. FreeCAD can nothing do about it.
This is sad as thickness is a very important feature. What external kernel is that? Why do you say it cannot be improved, it's closed source?
Moved from PartDesign development. Post there if you have questions concerning the development of PartDesign.
I posted on the development forum because I don't really need help. I was trying to remake this 3D to learn to use FreeCAD and help finding potential issues to maybe give helpful feedback.
So all bug report should be done here right?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Just a friendly note, even though it's a hassle, it's better to open separate threads for each bug / feature. From experience creating a thread with a generic name (details are better) and posting about several bugs/features has a tendency to not get addressed in its totality.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

paddle wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:17 am What is the correct way to do what I'm trying to do then (cutting the corners)?
You found it already yourself: use a rectangle that is big enough. If you place it at the plane up to which you want to cut, you can check the "Reverse" box.

What external kernel is that? Why do you say it cannot be improved, it's closed source?
It's the OCC kernel from Open Cascade. From what I read it has a not quite easy error reporting process, and if you join the development, all rights are transferred to OCC.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

chrisb wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:11 am You found it already yourself: use a rectangle that is big enough. If you place it at the plane up to which you want to cut, you can check the "Reverse" box.
No that also throw an error even if you click the reverse boxe. You have to first make the box small, apply the tool, then edit the size of the box. But then it makes the thing somehow buggy as you can see the part disappear when I edit the sketch. I think that's potentially also why the shell tool do not work afterward .
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:37 pm Just a friendly note, even though it's a hassle, it's better to open separate threads for each bug / feature. From experience creating a thread with a generic name (details are better) and posting about several bugs/features has a tendency to not get addressed in its totality.
You are totally right. Not a hassle at all.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

paddle wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:18 am No that also throw an error even if you click the reverse boxe.
Did you set the type to "Through all"? If so, and it still doesn't work, please upload your file.