[Solved] The body is not visible inside part when creating a sketch

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dcapeletti

[Solved] The body is not visible inside part when creating a sketch

Post by dcapeletti »

Hello, I have a problem that disappears the body or does not become visible when I want to create a emptying operation on a face.
The problem arises when I create a Body inside Part, but if I create a Body without a Part, the part object is shown correctly and I can draw a plane over it without problems and I can see the object correctly.
I hope they can determine if I'm doing something wrong or it's a bug. Thanks
Attachments
Pad not visible.png
Pad not visible.png (109.25 KiB) Viewed 4307 times
Pad is visible.png
Pad is visible.png (105.45 KiB) Viewed 4307 times
Last edited by dcapeletti on Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
kisolre
Veteran

Re: The body is not visible inside part when creating a sketch

Post by kisolre »

Part (container) visibility overides contained things visibility property. If Part is visible you can toggle visibility of its components. But if you hide the Part everything under it is also hidden regardless of its visibility state.
dcapeletti

Post by dcapeletti »

And why does Part become invisible when I create a sketch about Body? How can I make it visible by default when creating a sketch. Thanks
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

dcapeletti wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:58 pm And why does Part become invisible when I create a sketch about Body? How can I make it visible by default when creating a sketch. Thanks
Not sure how did you get there. By default when Part is created it is visible. Could you describe exact steps that will reproduce that? I just tried New file, create part, create body under it, create sketch, draw rectangle, close sketch - all is visible as expected.
Also please provide FreeCAD About info.
dcapeletti

Post by dcapeletti »

1- Create new document
2- Create a part
3- Create a body
4- Create a sketch and give it volume
5- On one side of the pad, create a new sketch. When entering sketch editing mode the part becomes invisible, but if I close the edit of the sketch and open it again, the part is shown again. This does not happen if the container part does not exist.

See video https://peertube.video/videos/watch/c2e ... aef66b31a5

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19405 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: d2b943e8b7d8fe2673a4e20671b6cb0f8180fdbd
Python version: 3.8.1
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: Spanish/Argentina (es_AR)
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

dcapeletti wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:58 pm And why does Part become invisible when I create a sketch about Body? How can I make it visible by default when creating a sketch. Thanks
This is maybe how the Sketcher works at the moment. In most cases when creating a sketch you only want the current body to be visible, so it probably hides everything else temporarily. Obviously this doesn't work correctly if your body is inside a Std_Part because as mentioned, the Part overrides the visibility.

This doesn't solve your problem obviously but I wonder, can't you just add the Std_Part at the end of the modelling process? Adding a Std_Part at the beginning of the document seems unusual to me. Are you modelling with other Parts in the document already? Is your intention to create an assembly with other parts already imported? If that's the case, then maybe you can move the Body inside the Std_Part just to test the location, and outside to model.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In Preferences->Sketcher there is a section "Visibility automation". It may help with your issue, e.g. by unchecking all of these.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dcapeletti

[Solved] Re: The body is not visible inside part when creating a sketch

Post by dcapeletti »

chrisb wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:47 am In Preferences->Sketcher there is a section "Visibility automation". It may help with your issue, e.g. by unchecking all of these.
Unchecking the Hide all objects that depend on the sketch option has solved my problem. Thanks
jventerprises

Re: [Solved] The body is not visible inside part when creating a sketch

Post by jventerprises »

ahh, this has also solved the problem for me as well!