Is it possible to join crossing lines?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kolbjoern

Is it possible to join crossing lines?

Post by Kolbjoern »

Is it possible to join/connect two or more lines together making a new form made of several lines?
In this simplified example I have two rectangles Crossing each other. I would like to join the lines in the points marked with the circles and then delete the lines between them to make the shape shown on the right side. (The right side form is made by using the multiple point tool so yes, I know abut it).

FreeCad Version 0.18 on Windows 10, but I think this doesn't matter in this case.
Kolbjørn
Attachments
joining.png
joining.png (40.79 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: Is it possible to join crossing lines?

Post by TheMarkster »

There is a trim edge tool in the Sketcher you can use for this purpose. In Sketch menu -> Sketcher geometries -> Trim edge.
Kolbjoern

Post by Kolbjoern »

Thank you. I Will try to figure out how to use this tool.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Using the trim tool you automatically get points that are connected. I draw most everything I can with overlaps and then trim, it's the best way to avoid "open vertexes".
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Kolbjoern wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:54 pm Thank you. I Will try to figure out how to use this tool.
You are welcome. Using it is simple enough. Click the tool, then click the line segment to remove.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:40 pmthe best way to avoid "open vertexes".
Talking about that, for me it's the Polyline with using the M key.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kolbjoern

Post by Kolbjoern »

I am not able to try your suggestion as in Sketcher all tools inclusive the Trim edge tool are grayed out and not available. I have searched the Internet for this without result.
The only way I have found to activate the tools in Sketcher is to press the "Create a new sketch" button. But as soon as I leave the new creating the tools turns gray again.
The original drawing is made in Draft.
Navigation style set to CAD.
FreeCad Version 0.18 on Windows 10. All prefernces using default settings.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Hi, I think everybody assumed you were asking about a cross you designed in Sketcher, but due to insufficient information of you nobody understood the question was about Draft.In sketcher you have constraints to make designing easy, draft is missing this. Here is an example of how a cross can be made in sketcher in the part design workbench
phpBB [video]
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

if you start off from two rectangular faces, it used to be possible with Part Union + refine, in OCC 6.8.0. However, in OCC 7+, it does not work anymore.

Part Connect may help you, but it won't solve a cross joint. It can create a knee.
Kolbjoern

Post by Kolbjoern »

Thank you to all for helping me. I have learned a lot.
I am using Sketchup near every day, but as a curious person I planned to learn something about FreeCAD. But obviously I am thinking too much in the Sketchup way on doing the drawings, or perhaps from the time we used rulers and pencils.
As an excuse for making the noise I thought that a drawing made in one workbench could be modified in other workbenches. But I was wrong. To me it looks like each workbench is (behaving as) a separate program with a few tools together. Not a problem as I now am aware of this.

Being aware of this helpful and friendly forum, I think I will be back sooner or later.