File was not written with this version of the topology

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PMac

File was not written with this version of the topology

Postby PMac » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:28 pm

Hi all,

A continuing issue that has been around for me for a while. The message "File was not written with this version of the topology" is reported in many of my files and I've been ignoring it. Have created a bare-bones file attached below which shows the error.

1. Open FC. (currently 0.19-19518 GUI on Linux Mint 19.3 right up to date. Opens to Arch WB).
2. Create a new file, name it, save and close it.
3. Re-open file - no issues.
4. Change to Part WB.
5. Create a body (body is created with an origin, appears in model tree - all OK)
6. Save file and close it.
7. Re-open file - "File was not written with this version of the topology" issue appears in report view.

Others have long reported this fault, over many FC releases. I have been unable to ascertain if there is a definitive resolution, most seem to ignore the message. No obvious cause is logged (other than the message as above) if started in a terminal with logging enabled.

Is there any resolution or definitive explanation to this message / issue?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19518 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 16b2b9a864fbf8fcae6af1e38640995fd0fefeaf
Python version: 3.8.1
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/New Zealand (en_NZ)
Attachments
A999-0001 File not written in this topology A.FCStd
(3.91 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
vocx

Re: File was not written with this version of the topology

Postby vocx » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:29 pm

PMac wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:28 pm
4. Change to Part WB.
The PartDesign Workbench is the one creating Bodies not the Part Workbench.

The message that you get, is it only with version 7.4 of OCCT, or also other versions? OCCT 7.4 is still quite new, so it may have some bugs and regressions with respect to 7.3 which has been more tested over a couple of years.

Maybe this message is due to opening a file created with OCCT 7.3 with this version of FreeCAD compiled against 7.4?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
PMac

Postby PMac » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:57 pm

vocx wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:29 pm
PMac wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:28 pm
4. Change to Part WB.
The PartDesign Workbench is the one creating Bodies not the Part Workbench.

The message that you get, is it only with version 7.4 of OCCT, or also other versions? OCCT 7.4 is still quite new, so it may have some bugs and regressions with respect to 7.3 which has been more tested over a couple of years.

Maybe this message is due to opening a file created with OCCT 7.3 with this version of FreeCAD compiled against 7.4?
Hi vocx,
Thanks for your reply.
Oops, Part Design WB is correct. My bad!

Attached file was created today, probably on OCCT 7.4. Have no idea if other files were created on a lower version. Do not know when OCCT updated from 7.3. I just manually update when Linux Mint offers me updates. Is this OCCT version difference significant to this issue? All I know is I've been seeing this message for a while and cannot definitively say when I first saw it.

Thanks, Peter
vocx

Postby vocx » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:16 am

PMac wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:57 pm
...Is this OCCT version difference significant to this issue? All I know is I've been seeing this message for a while and cannot definitively say when I first saw it.
I have personally never seen the message you mention. "Topology" is a word that is mostly used when talking about the internal Shapes created in FreeCAD. These shapes, or Part_TopoShapes, come from the code that accesses the OCCT libraries. This is the reason I think the issue could be with using one version or another of OCCT.

OCCT 7.3 should be compatible with 7.4 as they are the same major version. Compatibility is usually going forward, that means that something created with 7.3 should open perfectly fine with 7.4, but maybe the other way around may have some issues. A few things are probably added to 7.4, but I wouldn't know exactly if something is definitely causing these messages due to different versions.

The new version is still pretty new, only a few months old, OCC7.4 Released.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
wandererfan

Postby wandererfan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:25 am

vocx wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:16 am
FWIW, in OCC 7.3, this message is produced by BinTools_ShapeSet::Read and TopTools_ShapeSet::Read.

There are apparently multiple (at least 3) versions of the way OCC reads & writes subshapes in brep files. The topology version is not directly related to the release version (I think!).