Cannot select multiple features in Mirror or MultiTransform (solved using v0.19)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
oomgoshcd

Cannot select multiple features in Mirror or MultiTransform (solved using v0.19)

Post by oomgoshcd »

I have a composite feature I would like to mirror and/or multi-transform. The composite feature is made up of 3 features, a pad, a pocket, and a chamfer:
FeaturesToReplicate.PNG
FeaturesToReplicate.PNG (16.11 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
I would like to replicate this so it is present in all four corners of the square face as in
FullPart.PNG
FullPart.PNG (46.63 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
but obviously with all three features present in each corner.

I've gone through a number of tutorials and forum posts, specifically from https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/PartDesign_Mirrored, under Usage step 3.5. "Repeat to add other features". From every piece of documentation I should be able to add multiple feature to the mirror or to the MuliTransform however I am not able to. Whenever I press either Add Feature or Remove Feature it only toggles the originally selected feature on and off. I am not able to provide additional features. MultiTransform provides a similar feature, I tried there to and I'm seeing the same issue.

I've generated a, hopefully, simple example:
MirrorHelpExample.FCStd
(32.5 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
. Steps to create:
  • Created a square centered around origin
  • Padded it
  • On a face I placed a circle (2mm radius) in one corner
  • This circle was padded
  • On the same face a smaller (1mm radius) circle was placed concentric to the larger
  • This smaller circle was pocketed through all
  • Finally a chamfer was performed on the outter edge of the cylinder
I've added a mirror attempt and a MultiTransform attempt to the file.

Seems like a bug, am I just doing something wrong? I realize I could perform the MultiTransform three times and achieve the same feat, but I'm attempting to publish my files (much more advanced then a cube :D ) and would like to keep them as simple and straight forward as possible.

Version (as far as I can tell this is this latest stable release available...as of posting)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Last edited by oomgoshcd on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Cannot select multiple features in Mirror or MultiTransform

Post by chrisb »

Chamfers cannot be patterned. realthunder has just submitted a pull request to v 0.19 which should ge into master soon.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
oomgoshcd

Post by oomgoshcd »

chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:59 pm Chamfers cannot be patterned. realthunder has just submitted a pull request to v 0.19 which should ge into master soon.
Okay, so I removed the chamfer and all I'm left with is a pad and pocket, but I'm still having the same issue. I cannot select both features in the single mirror operation. See update:
MirrorHelpExample2.FCStd
(21.85 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Hmm...I couldn't get it to mirror or multi-transform with the boss after the hole was pocketed.
I would have used your approach as well...but, don't know why i didn't work... :?

So, I backed up a bit.
Then multitransformed the boss.
Then pocketed the hole
Then multitransformed the pocketed boss
See: -m1

Then I selected the outer edge of each boss and chamfered.
See: -m2
Chamf.png
Chamf.png (18.61 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Version: 0.19.
Python version: 3.7.5
Qt version: 5.12.4
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
MirrorHelpExample2-m2.FCStd
(43.09 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
MirrorHelpExample2-m1.FCStd
(32.35 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Multitransform is for more than one transformation, not for transforming multiple features. Each pattern or mirror can work with multiple features, but it is a very cumbersome selection method in 0.18. It has slightly changed in 0.19. It is important to get the sequence right, so you should not start with the hole and add the pad later, but rather start with the pad. Even more so, as it is in this case rather easy to select both features:
- select BearingPadding, and invoke the mirror
- click the Add feature button
- the last feature is shown, and you can click on any piece of the model in 3D view to add the hole.

If it is not the last feature you want to add, you have to
- switch to the Model tree
- select the feature you want to add
- make it visible
- click any piece of the now shown feature in 3D view.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
oomgoshcd

Post by oomgoshcd »

Loaded up the latest 0.19 (pasted in below) for kicks. I was able to get everything including the chamfer to mirror! Thanks for the help! Maybe I'll go bold and do all of my work there.

Version I got it working in:
Version: 0.19.19678 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: b34f0aef34297c5eda6fb5cf1bbc1b43d452a31d
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.5
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I would recommend it. It's as reliable as 0.18.

You may have noted that the last two steps of my previous post have to be omitted in 0.19.
oomgoshcd

Post by oomgoshcd »

chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:24 pm Multitransform is for more than one transformation, not for transforming multiple features. Each pattern or mirror can work with multiple features, but it is a very cumbersome selection method in 0.18. It has slightly changed in 0.19. It is important to get the sequence right, so you should not start with the hole and add the pad later, but rather start with the pad. Even more so, as it is in this case rather easy to select both features:
- select BearingPadding, and invoke the mirror
- the last feature is shown, and you can click on any piece of the model in 3D view to add the hole.

If it is not the last feature you want to add, you have to
- switch to the Model tree
- select the feature you want to add
- make it visible
- click any piece of the now shown feature in 3D view.
"Multitransform is ..., not for transforming multiple features". I'd disagree with this per my example below; also the documentation seems to indicate this should work. I was able to bring across all three features
v19MultiTransform.PNG
v19MultiTransform.PNG (186.68 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
Additional I was then able to add multiple transforms (added linear after the mirror):
v19MultiTransform2.PNG
v19MultiTransform2.PNG (109.11 KiB) Viewed 1135 times

... and Bob's your auntie. The world is a very happy place tonight ;)
In all seriousness did I misinterpret and/or just get lucky? This is actually the result I was hoping for all along.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Cannot select multiple features in Mirror or MultiTransform (solved using v0.19)

Post by chrisb »

I wasn't precise enough. I should have said "Multitransform is not for directly transforming multiple features. Your first multitransform contains a mirror and the mirror contains multiple features. You could - and should - have used the mirror without the multitransform around.
In the second case I would argue that the multitransform contains a mirror and a linear pattern, which are transformations and not features; while you argue that the features are somehow contained as well, as they inside the patterns inside the multitransform.
oomgoshcd

Re: Cannot select multiple features in Mirror or MultiTransform (solved using v0.19)

Post by oomgoshcd »

chrisb wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:59 am I wasn't precise enough. I should have said "Multitransform is not for directly transforming multiple features." Your first multitransform contains a mirror and the mirror contains multiple features. You could - and should - have used the mirror without the multitransform around.
In the second case I would argue that the multitransform contains a mirror and a linear pattern, which are transformations and not features; while you argue that the features are somehow contained as well, as they inside the patterns inside the multitransform.
My guess is my terminology is a bit off and I'm causing some alignment confusion. I'm generically calling pads, pockets, chamfers features and I'm guessing that is wrong.

If I'm understanding correctly, you're suggesting I don't attempt to utilize MultiTransform to apply the pad, pocket and chamfer. Instead I should Mirror the pad, pocket, and chamfer, then utilize a MultiTransform to apply those to all of my desired locations?