How do I load a backup file e.g. *.FCStd4

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
oldestfox

How do I load a backup file e.g. *.FCStd4

Post by oldestfox »

FC downloaded from SourceForge.net
Platform: 32-bit
Version: 0.14.2192 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: b63f9d7a2b440e1363508976ec105dac31d7f698
Python version: 2.6.2
Qt version: 4.5.2
Coin version: 3.1.0
SoQt version: 1.4.1
OCC version: 6.5.1

I know how to set the file count for backup files. I can see the files in the appropriate folder with Windows Explorer. I cannot, however, open any of them by double clicking. I get a momentary error message at the bottom of the FC window stating "file format not supported". Nor can I see them within the FC environment "open" command. I have checked the wiki and can't find anything on it. Where should I look?

Edit: OK. I can see the files in FC when I select "All files" in the file type box. I can't open any of them though.

Thank you.
ickby
Veteran

Re: How do I load a backup file e.g. *.FCStd4

Post by ickby »

just remove the 4 from the file extension.
oldestfox

Post by oldestfox »

ickby wrote:just remove the 4 from the file extension.
I can't change the name as long as the original (*.FCStd) exists in the same folder. I don't want to do that. Is there any change the path to backups own folder?

If I just remove the 4 in the FC "open" dialogue then it opens the original. I have checked preferences but can't find out how to change the path.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I think it wouldn't be too much trouble making freecad accept to load files with extension .FcStd* where * is a number... Maybe you can file a feature request for that
oldestfox

Post by oldestfox »

Thanks Yorik. I'll take your answer as "can't be done at this time". I'll file a feature request in Mantis.
By the way...
How many programmers does it take to change a lightbulb? (See answer in next eipsode) :lol:
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I was wondering how much sense (and work) would it make to have one of this possibilities:

-Determine the main folder for backups.
-Folder backup is created on the location file(s) are located and backups are put in there.

One of this two things would in my opinion make managing of backups files much more elegant and from this thread perspective renaming wouldn't be the problem because original would not be there.
oldestfox

Post by oldestfox »

triplus wrote:from this thread perspective renaming wouldn't be the problem because original would not be there.
Exactly right. I could live with that if adding the extension isn't possible or too time consuming for the programmer.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hm honestly I prefer the way it is now, each backup together with its main file. Otherwise it can really become annoying to go find the backups, not to mention the cases where 2 main files in different folders have the same name.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

yorikvanhavre wrote:Hm honestly I prefer the way it is now, each backup together with its main file. Otherwise it can really become annoying to go find the backups, not to mention the cases where 2 main files in different folders have the same name.
I personally turn backup feature to off because my working folder usually contains a few fcstd files i am working on all having nice thumbnail preview and it's too much clutter having backup files there. Having just one level of backup doesn’t allow to "go back in time" all that much and i would like to sometimes but imagine having setting set to lets say 5 and having 10 (100) fcstd files in working folder. That gives 10 (100) fcstd files and 50 (500) backup files all inside single folder... If there would be backup folder i wouldn't have issue setting backup option to highest possible 99 to be honest i have enough space on my drive... but as all the files are cluttered inside the same folder i usually just turn backup off.

Option 2 would probably solve potential issues you listed:

-Backups would still be found in the same folder the original files are with the main difference backups would be moved to backup folder.
-Duplicate file names wouldn't be an issue the situation would be the same as it is now.
oldestfox

Post by oldestfox »

If the system would just accept the backup file extension then everyone would be happy. Triplus could keep working the way he does and be happy. Yorik could keep working the way he does and be happy. I could *start* working the way I want to and I would be ecstatic. (well... happy :D )