Linking to external construction lines

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PedjaS

Linking to external construction lines

Post by PedjaS »

I've crated sketch and them pad, then i added new sketch in the same plane and created pocket, then added another sketch in the same plane and added holes, then another pocket all in the same plane.

Then i realized i have to update the first sketch to draw feature that should be constrained to elements in one of the later sketches. That seems impossible.

During the proces I realized I can linking to external geometry works only with geometry lines, not construction lines. Why is that? it would be extremely useful of I could use construction lines from other sketches.

I had to copy whole sketches and then delete all geometry lines to be able to use construction lines at the same place. But those were not the same construction lines. If I have to change something that require moving construction lines, I would have to move them in each sketch.

If linking to construction lines is possible I would draw all construction lines in the first sketch and simply use them in all later sketches.

Copying is also cumbersome. If I choose to copy from one sketch to another, it copies complete sketch. I cannot select just few elements that I want to be copied. and again, i cannot copy from later sketches.

Is there any way to avoid drawing the same construction lines from scratch?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Linking to external construction lines

Post by chrisb »

PedjaS wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:32 am During the proces I realized I can linking to external geometry works only with geometry lines, not construction lines. Why is that?
Because construction lines are not visible outside of the sketch.

If linking to construction lines is possible I would draw all construction lines in the first sketch and simply use them in all later sketches.
Use a so called master sketch instead. It is a sketch that is used for referencing only, so the common restrictions such as "one solid only", "no self intersections" are not applied

Copying is also cumbersome. If I choose to copy from one sketch to another, it copies complete sketch. I cannot select just few elements that I want to be copied.
I cannot see what's cumbersome, but you may try Sketcher CarbonCopy.

and again, i cannot copy from later sketches.
Introducing cyclic dependencies may prohibit your attempt.
Is there any way to avoid drawing the same construction lines from scratch?
See above, MasterSketch and CarbonCopy
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.