pocket on wrong section?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leonpiper69

pocket on wrong section?

Post by leonpiper69 »

trying diff tools to get more understanding of cad and ran into a problem. i tried reading everything i could find on this and havent found anything.

here's where im stuck. if i make a shape and want to make a pocket (a complex shaped pocket that touches the edge) freecad takes away the part i want to keep.

now at first i thought maybe i didnt have something connected but it all looks good. so, i tried several diff ideas. first i had the complete pocket connected and freecad removed the part not the pocket. then made the sketch connected around the part i wanted to keep thinking it would make a difference but it still removed the main part not the part i intended to be the pocket.

i took a screen shot if it helps
oldestfox

Re: pocket on wrong section?

Post by oldestfox »

leonpiper69 wrote:then made the sketch connected around the part i wanted to keep
If I understand correctly, you almost had it. You must draw the pocket around the area you want to "GET RID OF", not what you want to keep. A pocket ALWAYS must be a closed figure, not just lines. In your screenshot, finish the figure from the left end, up to the top of the main block, over to the right of the main block and back down to the right end of your existing figure. If that doesn't work, then you have something else wrong.