Zoom to physical size

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
crazyminecuber

Zoom to physical size

Post by crazyminecuber »

Hi!
I want to replicate a physical object in freecad that I then later can 3d-print. In the process I used the sketcher tool and made a 2d-sketch of the object. Now what I would find really useful is the ability to zoom the correct amount so that the sketch on my screen would match the physical size that I have inputed in freecad. With this feature I could easily compare my real-model and my freecad model so I have not made a mistake in entering the dimensions. I would just hold my model in front of my monitor and compare them.

What I am really looking for is a button that does this automatically and I am wondering if there is such a feature. Otherwise I would like to report that idea to someone who could implement it. As long as I in some menu specify my monitors dimensions, I see no reason why this could not be implemented.
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Zoom to physical size

Post by kisolre »

It will not require your monitor dimensions but your monitor DPI (dots per inch).
But how would you trust your eyes and not actual object measurements?
crazyminecuber

Post by crazyminecuber »

I would not trust my eyes for precision measurements. I would use it more for verifying that it is roughly correct and that I did not screw up in the process of entering the dimensions, like measuring the wrong thing.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This works obviously only for objects in a certain range. If they are too small or too big it wouldn't be applicable anyway. As a fast approximation you could start with a FitAll and then quickly use Ctrl+Plus/Ctrl+Minus keys for tuning. You can configure the zoom step in the preferences.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Use the measuring tool in the Part workbench to measure your model. Then zoom in / out while holding a ruler up to your screen until the dimension roughly matches what you are seeing. If you enable a bottom panel view, such as the python console you can move it up to decrease the size of the 3d view in tiny increments for fine control. I was able to get the default cube of 10mm reasonably close to a yard stick I was holding up to the screen in this manner.
Attachments
Snip macro screenshot-6e8dd7.png
Snip macro screenshot-6e8dd7.png (98.25 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
crazyminecuber

Post by crazyminecuber »

Thanks!
A bit hacky but good enough for my situation.
koirat

Post by koirat »

It would be cool to zoom to actual size anyway.
I already scratched my screen with a ruler to much.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

koirat wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:13 am It would be cool to zoom to actual size anyway.
I already scratched my screen with a ruler to much.
You need to improve you visualizing skills...that and realizing what is on the screen is virtual and the values you've entered are being virtualized for display.

The zoom you seek simply provides no validation without reference in the virtual world. The sceen is a portal into the virtual world.

This is the reason people who sell things on Ebay photo the item with something widely recognized for size comparison (like a coin or ruler).
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

crazyminecuber wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:40 am ......
Hi crazyminecuber, greetings to the Community!
This is what @ mario52 had proposed in this topic https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 04#p447004, I still use it today and it works very well, I am attaching the macro and the icon.
In practice it resizes with a click, the display of the framed object, in 1: 1 scale and therefore it becomes possible to measure directly on the monitor using a ruler or even a caliper.
Attachments
1_1.png
1_1.png (607 Bytes) Viewed 2215 times
scala1_1.FCMacro
(232 Bytes) Downloaded 114 times