Adjustable Storage Projects

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ivxcvi

Adjustable Storage Projects

Post by ivxcvi »

Hello,

I have a couple of projects I've created to help manage my clutter & failing furniture. The plan is to use these designs to cut storage solutions out of plywood with a CNC router. I'll attach the repos below.

Adjustable Storage Dresser

Stackable Flat Box

My aim with both of these projects is to set them up so that dimensions can be changed via spreadsheet parameters & the rest of the piece parts scale & adjust placement accordingly, saving the user the time of configuring dovetail size & piece placement manually.

I've sat on these for a couple of months now without working on them. I'm hoping to complete them now that I have more time to focus on them. I'm looking for input on what I can be practicing better, and maybe thoughts on how realistic this is.

Any input is welcome. Thanks for looking.
catman

Re: Adjustable Storage Projects

Post by catman »

ivxcvi wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:02 pm Any input is welcome. Thanks for looking.
Just some thoughts.

Did you use the LC Interlocking workbench? It gives you folding. I nevery tried it with expressions.

Why not using an assembly workbench, e.g. Assembly3, Assembly4 or A2plus to allow the users to check out your parts in 3D and actually stack them?

I guess you are aware that you could access dimensions in a spreadsheet when it is in another file (https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Spreadsheet_Workbench)

Did think about using the Path WB to actually include G-Code generation for people with a router in your file?
ivxcvi

Re: Adjustable Storage Projects

Post by ivxcvi »

Thank you for the recommendations catman. I will look further into those workbenches (for those watching, none of the aforementioned are default except for the Path WB--you will need to download them via Macro -> Macros ... -> Addons...).

As far as stetting up Path GCode, I think I will leave that for the end-user. Everyone's setup is different, so I'll leave the CAM stuff alone. For this project, I'm primarily focused on proper design.