Can Someone Tell Me Why I Can't Get This To Bevel?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rebeltaz

Can Someone Tell Me Why I Can't Get This To Bevel?

Post by rebeltaz »

For the life of me, I cannot get the inner or outer edges to bevel. I would like to do a 3mm bevel, but I can't even get 1mm to work. I thought it was the point, but that wouldn't account for why I can't get the inner edge to bevel. I can't even get this to bevel when I modeled it in blender. This is driving me crazy. Can someone tell me why and what I am doing wrong? Thanks.
Attachments
handle.FCStd
(121.14 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
hammax
Veteran

Re: Can Someone Tell Me Why I Can't Get This To Bevel?

Post by hammax »

… it's only a handling of BSpline in Sketcher => no sharp edges.

Handle.PNG
Handle.PNG (106.69 KiB) Viewed 713 times
Attachments
handle_2.FCStd
(272.73 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
fc_tofu

Post by fc_tofu »

hammax wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:23 am … it's only a handling of BSpline in Sketcher => no sharp edges.
What's the meaning of "sharp edges?"
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

… these are the "sharp" edges => no tangent constraint at start and end of BSpline.
I also see 6 fillet positions. Two of them are the sharp edges, you have to uncheck.

Handle_2.PNG
Handle_2.PNG (88.5 KiB) Viewed 658 times
rebeltaz

Post by rebeltaz »

hammax wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:35 pm … these are the "sharp" edges => no tangent constraint at start and end of BSpline.
I also see 6 fillet positions. Two of them are the sharp edges, you have to uncheck.
I'm at work right now, so I can't check the file until tonight, but I had thought about tangents on the b-sline, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. Everything I did kept telling me that tangents couldn't be applied to b-slines. How do I do that? And Thank You!
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

… a tangent constraint between the ends of a BSpline seems as far to be impossible.
But you can use the periodic BSpline (which has another flaw)
or a construction line between the 2nd and the 2nd-last controlpoint of the spline.
The connected start-/endpoint must be placed coincident on this construction line.

Handle_3.PNG
Handle_3.PNG (194.49 KiB) Viewed 584 times
rebeltaz

Post by rebeltaz »

hammax wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:02 am … a tangent constraint between the ends of a BSpline seems as far to be impossible.
But you can use the periodic BSpline (which has another flaw)
or a construction line between the 2nd and the 2nd-last controlpoint of the spline.
The connected start-/endpoint must be placed coincident on this construction line.
I never would have figured that out. Thank you.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In addition I would recommend to reduce the number of control points. If the points are set manually the curves become usually smoother with less points.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rebeltaz

Post by rebeltaz »

chrisb wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:46 am In addition I would recommend to reduce the number of control points. If the points are set manually the curves become usually smoother with less points.
I saw that s/he had drastically reduced the number of points. What do you mean by "points are set manually"? The size? I tried playing around with the size of the points and I couldn't see where it made a difference big or small.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

It is the size of the circle RELATIVE to the other circles that gives the weight (how much it jnfluences the spline) of the control point.