Sketcher: Tracing a Nonsymmetric Image

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Redbull-wings-

Sketcher: Tracing a Nonsymmetric Image

Post by Redbull-wings- »

Hello,

I am using FreeCAD 0.18 and am trying to trace an image using a poly line but I cannot get the line to close. When I try to click the origin of the first line while finishing the last line the vertices doesn't highlight but rather just creates a line near that point. Neither the "produce closed shape" or "coincidence tool" help to remedy this issue after selecting both vertices.
Last edited by Kunda1 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo on thread title
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sktecher: Tracing a Nonsymmetric Image

Post by chrisb »

This sounds as if the solver shows already an error message, probably redundant constraints. Remove them and you can use coincidence on the last two points. If it is something else you can upload your sketch for further inspection.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Redbull-wings-

Post by Redbull-wings- »

I believe your were correct, I removed all the block constraints and was able to close all the shapes with coincidence. Now that I have closed shapes what's the simplest way to fully constrain the rest of the sketch? Despite the closed shape, the sketch is still shown has highly under-constrained in solver.

Sorry if these questions seem very basic I am definitely still in the learning phase here in FreeCAD! Thanks for the help as well! :D
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Redbull-wings- wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:13 pm Sorry if these questions seem very basic I am definitely still in the learning phase here in FreeCAD! Thanks for the help as well! :D
I suggest you take a look at the Sketcher tutorials. And to chrisb's Sketcher reference.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Redbull-wings- wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:13 pm Now that I have closed shapes what's the simplest way to fully constrain the rest of the sketch? Despite the closed shape, the sketch is still shown has highly under-constrained in solver.
Just don't. Making it fully constrained is not going to help you in any way, I think. The block constraint is probably a decent solution if you do indeed have to lock down parts of the sketch.
Redbull-wings-

Post by Redbull-wings- »

Thanks vocx! The PDF guide was super useful and informative for sketcher. I was able to get my issues resolved and models created without any further issues. I ended up using an under constrained sketch like DeepSOIC mentioned and it worked great.

Thanks again to for your help! :D