Turning PAD around its axis

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kennethbiles

Turning PAD around its axis

Postby kennethbiles » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:33 pm

Again a total newbie question. I will try to use proper terminology, so this will get wierd and confusing. I searched the forum and found many references to this question, but the answers did not appear to work for me.

I am making a support out of metal tube. This will have supports when looking from the front in the front plan going at a 45 degree angle from the horizontal top to the vertical side. To represent this in FreeCAD I did the following sucessfully.

In Sketcher. I created a constrained 2D object that was the appropriate size and shape. Snip_05_01
Snip_05_01.JPG
Snip_05_01.JPG (147.02 KiB) Viewed 160 times
I changed workbenches to Part and used the PAD option to create a 3D object of the correct size
I created a cube of the correct size, shape and location and used the "Cut from two objects" tool to remove the center of the PAD to create a hollow tube with a 90 end and a 45 end.
Used the Angle, Axis and Position Properties of the PAD to place the hollow tube in the correct location in relation to the other objects of the grill support. For organization I have each object contained in a Part Body.

My issue is after all that.

To make the pad I had to draw the 45 on the XY plain then PAD that up. When in position the 45 of the object is in the wrong orientation in relation to the other objects (Snip_05_02). I can attach my FreeCAD file if it will help, but did not want to start with that because I have no idea of the size of that file.

Any help on how to do this, if it is possible, will be appreaciated. I have seen references to an Assembly Workbench, but assume that is still in development.

Thank you,

Ken
Attachments
Snip_05_02.JPG
Snip_05_02.JPG (98.63 KiB) Viewed 160 times
freedman

Re: Turning PAD around its axis

Postby freedman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:14 pm

That's a long post, first thing you said is you changed workbenches. The item your working on coud be done in Partdesign and Partdesign only. IMO you need to stay in there and then we can work out how to do this. I also noticed the Start workbench in your pic, if you goto Edit-preferences-startup workbench, set it Part design.
Bance

Postby Bance » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:18 pm

Select extrude in the tree view, scroll down to position in the data tab, click in the value column that contains numbers and a button with an ellipses on will appear. Press this to bring up the placement dialogue, select the apply incremental changes button, play around to your heart's content.
placement.jpg
placement.jpg (52.39 KiB) Viewed 144 times
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:28 pm

From what I see, I think you can turn the first sketch of the beam by 90° to turn it around.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kennethbiles

Postby kennethbiles » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:34 pm

I will try all of these things and let you know of my success....and multiple failures.

We learn from failure and stop at success, right?

Thank you all.

Ken
drmacro

Postby drmacro » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:00 pm

freedman wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:14 pm That's a long post, first thing you said is you changed workbenches. The item your working on coud be done in Partdesign and Partdesign only. IMO you need to stay in there and then we can work out how to do this. I also noticed the Start workbench in your pic, if you goto Edit-preferences-startup workbench, set it Part design.
I have been musing...and this is a good example.

It may exist already, but, would a wiki that we could send people to to discuss the the why/when/where etc. of using the Part Design and Part workbenches. Is there a noob friendly page that discusses this? Please link me if there is.

:?: :?: :?:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

My beginners, written treatise: Learning FreeCAD