Complete newbie in need of help!

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
froggie72

Complete newbie in need of help!

Post by froggie72 »

Hi all,

I'm completely new to any kind of CAD software and now i'm trying to learn the basics of FreeCAD. I got a bit frustrated today because i drew a Dwire with some wrong angles and line lengths. Now i want to edit the line lengths and angles but i cannot figure out how to dow this. I'm in the Arch Workbench. I searched al over the internet, this forum and Youtube. I found loads of tutorials on how to create drawings but none of them featured changing the dimensions of a Dwire. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Complete newbie in need of help!

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid this is not directly possible in Draft (not absolutely sure, though). There you change angles and lengths by changing the appropriate posints. If you can use Sketches instead of DWires you can use dimension and angle constraints.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

It is possible to do what you ask, use the Draft_Rotate and Draft_Trimex tools.

HTH Steve.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the enlightenment!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

froggie72 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:21 am Hi all,

I'm completely new to any kind of CAD software and now i'm trying to learn the basics of FreeCAD. I got a bit frustrated today because i drew a Dwire with some wrong angles and line lengths. Now i want to edit the line lengths and angles but i cannot figure out how to dow this. I'm in the Arch Workbench. I searched al over the internet, this forum and Youtube. I found loads of tutorials on how to create drawings but none of them featured changing the dimensions of a Dwire. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance!
Hi froggie72 and welcome.

I see that Bance has probably answered your question.

But, if you don't mind, I have a question or two for you, as a new user.

What led you to start learning FreeCAD by using Draft WB?

What is your use case? (i.e. generating models for 3D printing, designing assemblies, etc.)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

drmacro wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:01 pm ...
What is your use case? (i.e. generating models for 3D printing, designing assemblies, etc.)
He said he's in the Arch Workbench, so maybe he's following architecture tutorials?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

froggie72 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:21 am ... but none of them featured changing the dimensions of a Dwire. Can anyone help me please?
In the tree view, double click the wire to start editing, then you can move the points. Or select the wire, and then click Draft Edit.

See Std_About.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.