Stuck on how to start a particular drawing?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lazlow

Re: Stuck on how to start a particular drawing?

Postby Lazlow » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:54 pm

Bance
I can see how you rotated the axis (attachment) for the hole location(9 degrees) and have adjusted my drawing accordingly. You have also adjusted the fin location from on one side(in my original) to on center (which I like) but I cannot see where you changed that.

Thanks

Freedman, while it is good to know, I think I am still on baby steps in this area (and probably a lot of other areas).

Edit: I found it. Under the pad you check symmetric to plane.
Bance

Postby Bance » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:58 pm

It's an option in Pad choose pad symmetric ...
Lazlow

Postby Lazlow » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:57 pm

Well, I THINK I got them. Any way to test fit them in FreeCAD?
Attachments
Nozzle-Final.FCStd
(255.09 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Nozzle-Cap.FCStd
(22.9 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Nozzle-Final.png
Nozzle-Final.png (156.71 KiB) Viewed 267 times
Nozzle-Cap.png
Nozzle-Cap.png (181.65 KiB) Viewed 267 times
Bance

Postby Bance » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:03 am

You can try using PartWB common. But it will only highlight interference, not fit.

But really you should read ChrisB's sketcher lecture. It's very common for a new user to use more constraints than required.https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30104
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:09 am

Lazlow wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:57 pm Any way to test fit them in FreeCAD?
Very good idea to use common for possible overlaps. You can give the outer body some transparency to look through. View style "Wireframe" is another option, but it doesn't give a good overview. It can be helpful if you want to examine some details.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Lazlow

Postby Lazlow » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:26 pm

I have not read the link to the constraints (over) but I suspect it is from when I have trouble finding the last degree of freedom(maybe wrong term).

Not seeing common. I assume Workbench Part, but then where?

Thanks for all the help.Today is grocery day. so it may be a few hours before I can reply again. People have gone a little crazy here and done a pretty good job of clearing the supplies. To get toilet paper last week I had to be in line before the store opened and there were only two left when I go mine. Same for dried beans.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:35 pm

You apply common from Part workbench on the bodies. It yields the material common to both bodies. If you get nothing there are no overlaps, if common is not empty then you see where your bodies overlap.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance

Postby Bance » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:36 pm

Distance constraints with a value of zero always smells fishy to me, not that it's wrong to do it, just there's often a more elegant solution. Try to make best use of geometric constraints, it's easier on the solver and the eye (less of 'em) 8-)
Steve
Lazlow

Postby Lazlow » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:21 pm

OK, I am running 19 and as far as I can tell there is no Common button or command in the Part Menu. However, there is a double circle button(with the overlapping part shaded) marked intersection of two parts. It is giving me grief about selecting one compound with two or more shapes. Is that to do with this being two different files?
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:02 pm

Bance wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:36 pm Distance constraints with a value of zero always smells fishy to me, not that it's wrong to do it, just there's often a more elegant solution.
+1

I would even go a bit further and claim that they can always be replaced. Currently it is just an (educated) guess, but a mathematical proof may be something to be included in a third version of my sketcher lecture. It's probably just discussing the different cases where measures can be applied.