Changing the numbering scheme

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ajoeiam

Changing the numbering scheme

Postby ajoeiam » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:12 pm

Greetings

OS: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid (LXQt/lightdm-xsession)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20209 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 5fc4a26a00390e91cbf91848b766b68ad87e5917
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0

Somehow a long time ago when I learnt how to count it was encouraged that I count groups of things starting with the number 1.
Understand that is not the 'computer' way of doing things but counting from zero is really messing up listing features.
Have looked but cannot find where I can specify that the second fillet, or whatever other feature I wish to use more than one of, is numbered 002.

If it were possible to specify which option (counting from zero or from one) that would greatly assist in my modeling 'experience'.

TIA for the instructions on how to modify this for myself.

(Maybe this should be in 'feature request' but - - - please advise.)
freedman

Re: Changing the numbering scheme

Postby freedman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:09 pm

I typically leave the numbered value like "sketch001" and append to it something like "sketch001_bracket". This way the original sketch number is there as a reference in case I need to re-attach the sketch, I just ignore the number.

As far as asking for renumbering, FreeCAD pulls together many different programs , you would really be asking all of them to change their numbering scheme. Granted starting from zero can take some effort but FreeCAD allows any programmer access so the interface kind of reflects that concept of starting at zero.

After counting from zero for 35 years I just accept that I have 9 toes, 0 thru 9. :)
Last edited by freedman on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bance

Postby Bance » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:23 pm

As freedman suggests, rename the features to suit yourself, I know this sounds like a mundane task, but it will get you into good habits if you truly want to make parametric models.

Steve.
ajoeiam

Postby ajoeiam » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:16 pm

freedman wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:09 pm I typically leave the numbered value like "sketch001" and append to it something like "sketch001_bracket". This way the original sketch number is there as a reference in case I need to re-attach the sketch, I just ignore the number.

As far as asking for renumbering, FreeCAD pulls together many different programs , you would really be asking all of them to change their numbering scheme. Granted starting from zero can take some effort but FreeCAD allows any programmer access so the interface kind of reflects that concept of starting at zero.

After counting from zero for 35 years I just accept that I have 9 toes, 0 thru 9. :)
Hmmmmmmmmmm - - - - so 100 million persons who do some kind of programming find that its more important to do things their way than the 6.9 billion people who normally count starting from one.

I hope you did notice that I didn't ask for everything to change - - - - I did ask how I could change it for myself.

From what you're saying numbering isn't a global variable - - - yes?
ajoeiam

Postby ajoeiam » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:18 pm

Bance wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:23 pm As freedman suggests, rename the features to suit yourself, I know this sounds like a mundane task, but it will get you into good habits if you truly want to make parametric models.

Steve.
Nothing personal but what you're saying can be translated as 'do things my way - - - - because I say so' .

Oh well - - - - (I'll stop there!) . . . .
Bance

Postby Bance » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:24 pm

Or it can be translated as 'the option is there for you to name things for yourself, or accept the way that it is'....
Glass half full or glass half empty?
ajoeiam

Postby ajoeiam » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:34 pm

Bance wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:24 pm Or it can be translated as 'the option is there for you to name things for yourself, or accept the way that it is'....
Glass half full or glass half empty?
Better - - - "glass is broken".

Just finding that the numbering scheme is causing extra work.

I coined the phrase quite a number of years ago - - - "Elegance is merely simplicity refined to its ultimate concept."
That and the K.I.S.S principle are commonly used here.
Bance

Postby Bance » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:09 am

The really nice thing about FOSS is that if the glass is broken you can always fix it. If you pay for your software then you have to wait until the vendor has time!
EDIT And inclination (or financial persuasion) :mrgreen:
MSOlsen65

Postby MSOlsen65 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:40 am

Personally. I think of the numbers like "pseudo clones". Zero is the original, and the numbers are the clones. That way I don't get hung up on the numbering.

With the "new" Link feature in v0.19, I make singular bodies, parts, etc. Then I use Link to create ALL the "copies" used in the project. This dramatically reduces my need to track the numbers. It also means that the dramatically reduced set of "master objects" is easier to document by renaming. Personally, I like the tip of appending (or in my case prepending) to the numbered name. Occasionally, quick access to the number could ne handy.
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Electrical Engineer & Joiner
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:16 am

It could be a reasonable feature request to have a tree view showing the internal name instead of the label.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.