Changing the numbering scheme

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Re: Changing the numbering scheme

Post by freedman »

It seems the first sketch is one of those things that could be renamed, especially since it's a label. But, I also noticed how tough it is to push through what seems to be a simple change. The topic " Change builtin 'Leave Sketch' behavior?"
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42207
68 posts to solve this issue, weeks of works, not mine. Thanks to everyone for hanging in there. That topic made me look at changes in a different way, I now try to focus mostly on bugs and things that don't work, I don't want to bring up issues unless they are very important, again that's me.

I must be old;
I also had a short slide rule expeience and I think there is nothing better to teach a person how to keep track of powers. My first electronics project was building a binary adder with a latch for memory, all this connected to a 7 segment display. Geez, this is cave man stuff. :)
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

freedman wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:03 pm I must be old;
I also had a short slide rule expeience and I think there is nothing better to teach a person how to keep track of powers. My first electronics project was building a binary adder with a latch for memory, all this connected to a 7 segment display. Geez, this is cave man stuff. :)
Don't worry my friend. Somewhere in one of my "keepsake" boxes (repurposed Army boot boxes), I still have my 5 bar (three slides) 18 inch brass slide rule, along with the manual and several sets of tables. My first project was a crystal radio that used a vacuum tube regulated power supply. The radio is in another keepsake box, but the power supply got trashed in 1988. Couldn't find tubes so I got rid of it.

As for making change, I have experienced the vitriol of several forum members when I asked for clarification of Part vs. Body and why "Part Design" didn't conclude with the actual making of a Part. You and most others where unbelievably helpful; however, a couple were simply down right condescending and hostile to any suggestion that things could be improved. I was even hit with the classic "I'm a developer and you are just a looser user" attitude. Sadly, it is such arrogance that has so drastically stunted the development of FC (after nearly 20 years of development the core is still not well defined, many stability issues remain only partially addressed, ect.). This may be the best FOSS parametric 3D CAD available, but it is disappointing to experience the unjustifiable contempt of the "high command" when suggesting improvements. A simple and polite acknowledgement of perspective (e.g. "You have a point. We could add it to the list to look at.") would be nice to hear once in a while.

I must give you and others credit for not abandoning FC to the harsh and bitter attitudes a handful of the "elite" seem to regularly display. Where it not for the genuine kindness and support from the vast majority of the forum members, I would have left and found another means to accomplish my 3D goals. So thanks freedman, and chrisb, openBrain, ppemawm, and so many others. Because of you, and in spite of the jerks, I have been able to learn, grow and use FC to the benefit of myself and my clients. You are helping to make a better world.
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Electrical Engineer & Joiner
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

MSOlsen65, thank you.
When I first started here I wanted to help so I tried to express all my new experiences to get things changed. Turns out a few of the things did get recognized and worked on but there is a price to pay, someone else did all the work. When I see stuff now I ask myself "is the issue at hand important enough for me to impose on someone else to fix it". It would be nice to have a list of issues so the new users can see they are not alone in their FreeCAD issues. My guess is that over the years every issue has been brought up at least once.

It didn't take long to see the problem, there is a lack of skilled programmers with enough time to take on a large job for free. Add to that all the complex issues of rewriting old code and learning CAD so you know what to do in the first place. That takes a special person and there aren't that many available.

I don't think I will ever be good enough at python to help out so in the mean-time I write poorly written macros to show different concepts. :)
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

freedman wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:39 pm I don't think I will ever be good enough at python to help out so in the mean-time I write poorly written macros to show different concepts. :)
Just remember "Can't never even started, but some how, Try always got by, even if just barely. " So run your own race, and simply, honestly, earnestly try. ;)

In my book you are already a winner. :D
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Electrical Engineer & Joiner