Help with polar pattern

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
grumpyPandou

Help with polar pattern

Post by grumpyPandou »

Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum and I'd like some help on a basic project. I am using a 0.17 version of Freecad (cf bottom). I know it's not the last release, have started to download the newest but my connection is very, very slow... I have search the forum but don't find my answer, to be honest there's a lot of topics to deal with.

So my problem :

I'd like to do this :

I designed this :

And I don't know how to copy the selected part to have the expected result.

I was thinking polar pattern but I have to choose a part and I cannot have all of them copied :

As you can see in the screenshot I tried to made a second body but the result is worse.

So, I imagine the answer is not that complex but cannot find it.

I really hope you will able to help me.

Thanks.

--------
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Help with polar pattern

Post by jmaustpc »

Hello, welcome to FreeCAD. :)
grumpyPandou wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:40 pm my connection is very, very slow...
I know the feeling, I have had a few connection problems and slow downs over the last few weeks, I assume due to the massive increase in Internet traffic due to all the corona virus lock downs around the world. i see you are French, i am on the other side of the planet in the Australian outback. :)
grumpyPandou wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:40 pm So my problem :
grumpyPandou wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:40 pm I am using a 0.17 version of Freecad
your problem is very old obsolete software, the function you want did not exist back then.

from memory, to get that to work properly you need a recent snap shot release of FreeCAD 0.19, the last release version 0.18 is now rather old, you will find 0.19 is in good condition now, almost at next release quality and will have many bug fixes passed 0.18.

Jim
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

My guess is not proper constrained central tube -probably slight shift towards rectangular pad, which makes the first pad to succeed but the polar one fails. Hard to tell without a file.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

kisolre wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:19 pm My guess is not proper constrained central tube -probably slight shift towards rectangular pad, which makes the first pad to succeed but the polar one fails. Hard to tell without a file.
Quite likely, but my point is that he is trying to do a polar pattern feature with a feature that has two components, (a Pad and a Pocket), that was not supported back in 0.17.

Also it looks like he is trying to make an array of separate solids rather than an intersecting Pattern feature defining a single contiguous solid within a single Body, note he has two Bodies, it seems like the centre part is in one Body and he is trying to Pattern using a secomd body rather than a feature of the first body hence trying to create an array of separate solids,

As you say, without the file its hard to be complete and accurate.

But I am also saying this just from memory ... the extra functionality may well have been added earlier than 0.19...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The possibility to select more than one feature was already available, although it was one of the most cumbersome selection mechanisms I've ever seen. I think it is still the same in 0.18, it was only recently improved in 0.19.
Documented by NormandC: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p178410
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Indeed with older versions of FreeCAD, it can be simpler to polar pattern each feature separately.
But I guess Jim caught the biggest problem. The centre Pad is in a different Body, thus the pattern, despite it seems to be physically bound by the hollow cylinder, is actually several separate solids which is forbidden.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

In fact you must draw all part in the same body in V17 too
don't forget "Refine =true if you want a compact part whithout separate lines
Attachments
polar.PNG
polar.PNG (47.49 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
grumpyPandou

Post by grumpyPandou »

Thank you all for your answers.

I see the version is probably an answer so I am downloading the 0.19.

Foir information the central tube is well constraint and in my first attempt I had all in one body. I was able to polar each item seperately but there were approximations that make the result bad (for exemple the hole in branches not centered).

I give you news with the last version.

Thank you again for the answers.
grumpyPandou

Post by grumpyPandou »

Ok, I finally manage to make my Polar thank to the link of chrisb.

I join the file this time to help you. Because I have now an error I don't understand :

When making a fillet on edges, it works for some but not for two...

I tried in one operation (the screenshot) or several on each edge and I get the same error...

Also I updated Freecad.

Thank you for your help.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20477 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 7d8ab175a68e476427e6e337fe3099b52da49dc8
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
Attachments
test engrenage.FCStd
(242.76 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you zoom in on the right upper corner of the selection ...
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 20.07.33.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 20.07.33.png (38.98 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
... you see that from the first source part the borders are not really aligned, that is the reason for the failure:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 20.10.34.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 20.10.34.png (30.41 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
It comes from the way you cut the slope.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.