Ticket #4313 - Increase backup file default (was: Preferences- Number of backup files to save?)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MSOlsen65

Re: Preferences- Number of backup files to save?

Post by MSOlsen65 »

freedman wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:21 am
P.S. IMO, the date & timestamp naming of backups is rather meaningless if all backups go to your working folder.
All the backups are numbered so you can see the history of your work.
My apologies for being unclear. I was referring to the new backup naming option available in v0.19.

Like you, I generally just use the numbered versions. That said, chrisb mentioned an issue I will have to look into more deeply. So I may be revising my earlier opinion. For now, with my limited number of backups, the number scheme seems to be working just fine.

The new option would be very useful if there was also an option to set a separate path to store backups. Then they could be stored elsewhere on a separate drive, network, or cloud, adding a possible additional physical layer of protection to the data
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Electrical Engineer & Joiner
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

MSOlsen65 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:45 am The new option would be very useful if there was also an option to set a separate path to store backups.
I had suggested that but it wasn't implemented. I wanted to have placeholders for basename, path, number. With that it would have been possible to always use the same backup names - which is of course only sensible if work on projects isn't done in parallel.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
steve123

Post by steve123 »

chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:11 pm
MSOlsen65 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:45 am The new option would be very useful if there was also an option to set a separate path to store backups.
I had suggested that but it wasn't implemented. I wanted to have placeholders for basename, path, number. With that it would have been possible to always use the same backup names - which is of course only sensible if work on projects isn't done in parallel.
Was there any feedback on why a subdirectory cannot be used? That seems like the appropriate thing to do to clean up the clutter. The clutter is a problem when you use Assembly 4 and have multiple parts in the directory.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The last time I mentioned it - without any echo - was here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 92#p379919
And this one was the first or maybe second time: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p216572.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Ticket #4313 - Increase backup file default (was: Preferences- Number of backup files to save?)

Post by Kunda1 »

Can we come to an agreement?

issue #4313
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Ticket #4313 - Increase backup file default (was: Preferences- Number of backup files to save?)

Post by kisolre »

I set this to 10 but just as a safeguard if some change in FC breaks something. But rarely use them so from time to time I just purge all FCBak files.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I set it to 5, but I never get there. If there is some significant change I output a modified file name. In that way I do not have to worry about which .FCStdxxx is the correct one to go back and recover.

Gene
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I'm with @chrisb, I vote for '9' being default
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

More feedback please

Edit: I've submitted a draft PR with the default of 5 preferred backup files.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5451
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:47 pm Status: The default is still 1
Can we come to an agreement?

My vote it to keep it at 1 because this is a default setting. The default should be suitable for the average users and beginners. Expert users can change it quickly.

The default of 1 backup file is there since FC 0.17, so for years and obviously it is suitable for many users. My experience with several users I introduced FC to, is also that the single backup file is fine for beginners and those that became meanwhile average users.

So let's not change a default unnecessary.