Make holes/pockets in the side of cylinders

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Make holes/pockets in the side of cylinders

Post by drmacro »

V12StealthHunter wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:39 pm
drmacro wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:27 pm Why do you consider this a workaround?
The common approach is to draw a sketch or pocket on the surface. For tubes, this does not work and you are met with an error. Hence the method described in this thread does not feel like its a natural or intuitive workflow in FreeCAD. It feels like a workaround for an error that only if you visit the forums, you would learn how to workaround.
It is a perfectly legitimate workflow in the FreeCAD paradigm.

It is well documented that the FreeCAD paradigm does not include drawing sketches on non-planer surfaces.

It is possible to map sketches to curved surfaces. That is the province of the Curves workbench.

MangoJelly Solutions provides an excellent tutorial on this: https://youtu.be/ldPFgQsh3Nw
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In 2013 sketches had always to be attached to plane faces or at one of the main planes. No offset. No angle. The so called "helper pads" were used to simulate what now can be done directly since v0.17.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
V12StealthHunter

Post by V12StealthHunter »

Thanks @edwilliams16 that worked perfectly. Much better than the workaround.
edwilliams16 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:58 pm
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

V12StealthHunter wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:24 am Thanks @edwilliams16 that worked perfectly. Much better than the workaround.
I guess I don't remember the process from 8 years ago. :mrgreen:

Can someone explain, other than the obvious functionality difference between old Part Design ways, what is so different?

Note, I e only had one cup of coffee so far today. :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

drmacro wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:22 am
V12StealthHunter wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:24 am Thanks @edwilliams16 that worked perfectly. Much better than the workaround.
I guess I don't remember the process from 8 years ago. :mrgreen:

Can someone explain, other than the obvious functionality difference between old Part Design ways, what is so different?

Note, I e only had one cup of coffee so far today. :mrgreen:
Basically, 8 years ago there was no attachment system, you had to only attach a sketch to a planar face of a solid, so no curved face attachment, no attachment offsets, also no Body object, and only the global axis system.

The vast majority of FreeCAD's current functionality did not exist back then.

8 years ago FreeCAD was used by dinosaurs, ... :D

Jim
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

To drill a sketch based 45° hole through a cylinder you had to add a helper construction at the top; external references existed only to created geometry.

Step 1: attach a sketch to the top and create a helper pad:
SnipScreenshot-38cc7d.png
SnipScreenshot-38cc7d.png (14.2 KiB) Viewed 973 times
Step 2: attach a sketch to the helper pad and cut a 45° pocket:
SnipScreenshot-61768a.png
SnipScreenshot-61768a.png (14.89 KiB) Viewed 973 times
Step 3: attach a sketch to the slanted face and create a pocket for the desired hole:
SnipScreenshot-1b365d.png
SnipScreenshot-1b365d.png (19.32 KiB) Viewed 973 times
Step 4 (cleanup): Add a sketch to the helper pad, which cuts it all off:
SnipScreenshot-c49180.png
SnipScreenshot-c49180.png (12.39 KiB) Viewed 973 times
No refine on object or feature level, only as an extra operation in OpenSCAD workbench or as a global preference.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

chrisb wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:05 pm No refine on object or feature level, only as an extra operation in OpenSCAD workbench or as a global preference.
I am not sure if we even had Refine at all back then. We may have, as you say. We didn't when I first used FreeCAD. But we also didn't have Partdesign workbench at all then.

We have come such a very long way since that first time I opened FreeCAD and found it had almost no GUI tools at all. The first time I actually tried to model anything, I had to use a selection of about half a dozen Part primitives and the basic Boolean operations, all placement was by manually adjusting the placement properties of the primitives and the primitives could only be adjusted by manually changing their properties. But the first time I looked at FreeCAD must have been something like 5 years before the time we are talking about here, I suppose.