simple folding in Part or PartDesign wb

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: simple folding in Part or PartDesign wb

Post by chrisb »

A file would indeed be helpful, to see where exactly you are. While in the attachment dialog you dont use ctrl+click to add something to the selection. You should always have only one line per input field. It is best to enter the attachment dialog when nothing is visible except the sketch with the three pentagons.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
garya

Post by garya »

Sorry, I was having difficulty repeating things. Files attached. In these files, "Sketch" = "Sk_1" is the leftmost pentagon; "Sketch001" = "Sk_2" is the upper right; and "Sketch002" = "Sk_3" is the lower right.

First, try this one:
Dodecahedron.FCStd
(21.23 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
If you select Sk_2 (Sketch001) in the model pane, then click Map Mode to bring up the attachment dialog, all of Sk_2 is selected and the first set of fields shows "Selecting..." and "DatumPlane". Click and <ctrl> click to select the 4 edges needed for Folding mode, and note which edges are selected in the selection view, which fields are filled in in the attachment dialog, and what happens to the Sk_2 (upper right) pentagon.
When I do it, nothing changes in the attachment dialog when I select the first line (Sketch001.Edge1) and the second (ctrl-click) (Sketch001.Edge5). When I ctrl-click the third line (Sketch.Edge1) the first field stays at "Selecting..." but shows "Sketch:Edge1". The attachment mode changes to "Normal to edge" and Sk_2 (Sketch001) shifts to the lower right corner to be normal to the third line selected. When I ctrl-click the fourth line (Sketch002.Edge3), the mode stays at "Normal to edge" but the first field changes to Sketch002:Edge3 and Sk_2 shifts to a different position to be normal to the fourth line selected. The ability to choose "Folding" as a mode is still greyed out, understandably because there aren't enough lines specified in the attachment dialog.

Now try this one (the difference is there is no additional plane for Sk_2):
Dodecahedron_3.FCStd
(17 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Click in Model view to select Sk_2. Bring up Map mode dialog. Entire Sk_2 sketch is selected and mode is deactivated. Click the upper line of the two in the open "V" between Sk_2 and Sk_3 (Sketch001.Edge1). The selection view shows Sketch001.Edge1 (Sk_2) selected but nothing shows in the Attachment dialog fields. <ctrl>click the edge common to Sk_2 and Sk_1 (Sketch001.Edge5). Two lines are now selected but still nothing shows in the Attachment dialog. <ctrl>click the edge common to Sk_1 and Sk_3 (Sketch.Edge1). The attachment dialog shows "Line" and "Sketch:Edge1) and mode "Normal to edge" and Sk_2 shifts. <ctrl>click the lower edge of the "V" separating Sk_2 and Sk_3 (Sketch002.Edge3). Now 4 edges are selected in the Selection View, "Line" and "Sketch002:Edge3" is added to the Attachment fields, and the mode is now "Plane by 3 points".

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.0.18.4
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.7.6
Qt version: 5.13.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.4.0.beta
Locale: C/Default (C)
garya

Post by garya »

chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:19 am While in the attachment dialog you dont use ctrl+click to add something to the selection. You should always have only one line per input field. It is best to enter the attachment dialog when nothing is visible except the sketch with the three pentagons.
Ok... If I start with Dodecahedron_3 above:
click on Sk_2 in model view to select it. Click to activate Map Mode/Attachment dialog. Sk_2 is selected and mode is "deactivated". Click of the first line (Sketch001.Edge1, upper line of the "V" between Sk_2 and Sk_3). Line is selected in the Selection View but not in the Attachment dialog. If you first set the mode to "Folding" and then click the line, you get the same result other than the mode; the first field in the Attachment dialog doesn't change. If you click the second line it gets selected but still nothing in the Attachment dialog fields. It is only when you click the third line that anything shows up, and then it is "Normal to edge" and shows one field filled in, "Line" and "Sketch:Edge1", which is the third line selected. Selecting the 4th line (bottom of "V" between Sk_2 and Sk_3) (Sketch002.Edge3) results in "Plane by 3 points" and two fields filled in.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

garya wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:16 am First, try this one:
... Click and <ctrl> click to select the 4 edges needed for Folding mode
No! Please now it's up to you: First, try this one:
chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:19 am While in the attachment dialog you dont use ctrl+click to add something to the selection.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Ok, calmed down a bit. But it really annoys me if I invest considerable time to find things out and those asking for help simply ignore it.

This worked here:
- Create a master sketch with the three pentagons.
- Use only that master sketch to reference the folding lines for a new sketch or a DatumPlane. For the first two pentagons you will have three sketches: The master, plus two pentagons which you can pad.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:20 am But it really annoys me if I invest considerable time to find things out and those asking for help simply ignore it.
Know what that feels like :lol:
garya

Post by garya »

chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:20 am Ok, calmed down a bit. But it really annoys me if I invest considerable time to find things out and those asking for help simply ignore it.
I understand, apologize, and really, really appreciate you taking the time to help me understand this. FWIW, I refreshed my browser page prior to that first posting, and your post didn't show up until after I had posted my reply. Recognizing that my reply was irrelevant, I hastily tried to follow your advice and repost something relevant before you saw it as the only thing there. Obviously didn't work; I should have deleted the post, but it didn't occur to me in my haste.
chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:20 am This worked here:
- Create a master sketch with the three pentagons.
- Use only that master sketch to reference the folding lines for a new sketch or a DatumPlane. For the first two pentagons you will have three sketches: The master, plus two pentagons which you can pad.
Thanks. I've manged to get a plane created appropriately by selecting the 4 edges from the master sketch and then creating the plane. Presumably I can use that to create a pentagon in the plane and then align points with the master diagram. However, if I take the existing Sk_2 and assign it to the newly-created plane, the sketch changes position and becomes a triangle. I can understand the change in position, assuming its x/y coordinates in the XY plane are simply mapped to x/y coordinates in the new plane; but why is it truncated to a triangle?

In the file below, select Sk_2, activate map mode and click on the new plane. The pentagon maps appropriately to the plane. Switch to model view and toggle master sketch on to see the relationship between Sk_2 in the new plane and the original/master. Switch back to the Tasks tab and click ok. The pentagon snaps to the fold line but becomes a triangle.
Dodecahedron_4.FCStd
(17.27 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Thank you again for your patience and persistence.